Thursday, February 4, 2021

If you've got 'em, pack 'em

 

     Florida often feels like another country. What could be more foreign than 70 degree temperatures in January, when compared to New England’s snow and ice?

    The state has now another claim to fame beyond the beautiful beaches and atmosphere of perpetual vacation. Despite the huge downturn in travel, firearm confiscations at Florida’s airports remained in the top 10 across the country.

     To be fair, this was true of other parts of the country. Yesterday’s newspaper reported that the TSA found guns at their checkpoints at double the rate they did last year, even though air travel had fallen off dramatically.

     Atlanta won the prize, with the most guns found nationwide, but both Fort Lauderdale and Orlando were in the top 10. Packing for Disneyworld apparently has taken on a whole ‘nother meaning. Not to be outdone, Tampa and Miami’s international airports were up there, too, scoring #11 and 13, respectively.

     Along with the fact that the majority of the guns confiscated at checkpoints were loaded, I found it interesting that the number of firearms escalates at the holidays.    TSA was charitable enough to attribute this year’s increase in loaded weapons to pandemic stress and absentmindedness, but I wonder.

And here I thought the solution for dealing with loudmouth uncles at Thanksgiving was to just hide in the kitchen.

 

15 comments:

  1. OK that is scary. I was shocked to learn in Arkansas it is permissible to carry your weapon to church. Are the wild west days in our future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guns are still rare in my country - and those sort of figures terrify me. Not only carrying guns but loaded guns does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I knew it was getting crazy out there, but this is truly scary. I think I'll stay home and not travel anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just when you thought all you had to worry about was Covid. . . .

      Delete
  4. I once saw a guy at my local grocery story (suburban USA) with a gun in a holster. I wanted to go up and ask him why he felt the need to carry a gun into a supermarket, but I decided against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't engage! So annoying that the people you most want to give a talking to are the ones it's wiser to avoid.

      Delete
  5. I don't live in a open carry state (yet), but if I did and ever saw a holstered gun, I would leave the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'm very happy to be (most of the year) in good old blue Massachusetts.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad I live in Australia, where no guns is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not called the Gunshine State for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been proposed that ammunition become so expensive that all of those guns would go hungry.
    Such a crazy power guns have, fed by fear- of everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.