Friday, December 27, 2019

Post Christmas Hazards



         My kitchen is a mine field, danger at every turn.


          Son, lovely DIL, and incredibly cute 18 month-old twins are packed up and gone, but not before I managed to slip a loaf of Grandma’s banana bread in one bag when they weren’t looking.

          Daughter, wonderful SIL, and three handsome grandboys loaded up and left for New Jersey, but not before I encouraged middle grandboy to fill a baggie with chocolate straw cookies, SIL to grab a baggie for mixed nuts, and lifted the cookie jar lid for the youngest to grab a few Christmas cookies.

          But still, in spite of my best efforts, here we are, just the two of us with half a Costco-sized jar of nuts, another of chocolate covered almonds, part of a pie, half of a round of apple cake, a half-gallon of peppermint stick ice cream, and two dozen cookies.

          At least the artery-destroying rib roast was devoured at one sitting as though our table had been filled with Vikings, and not a heck of a lot remained of the lobster mac and cheese, another healthy choice.

          Tonight, I’m thinking salad.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got most of the danger spread out amongst family members. Salad sounds good to me, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you.
    Mind you, I have been largely living on the fruit salad I make each Christmas. It is tooooo hot for anything else. Which means the fridge and the cupboards groan with calorie laden temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have lots of good food to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie and cake can go into the freezer along with the ice cream, then you can enjoy them at a later date and recall the lovely visitors too. I didn't make my pies this season, far too hot for baking here and not one of us made anything like a Christmas Dinner. Several went out to eat, the rest of us, in all our separate homes made do with sandwiches and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. picking up dinner to go I contemplated a couple of pieces of pie and then came to my senses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bake less and less since we celebrate at others houses. This year I did not bring up cookies as my daughter usually has hundreds from a cookies exchange, and of course, this year NO cookies. Oh well, better for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. for heaven's sake, listen to you =) once a year, loosen those belts and eat the damn cookies. And next year make less. But stop depriving yourselves of the little pleasures, at least during the holidays. And those cookies freeze well, too. Mine never make it to the freezer, I just call it lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.