Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Florida Troll



I thought I’d spotted a troll today. Not a big one, so instead possibly a hobbit with scoliosis, a short figure with a rounded back.

          Mamie was peeing on yet another patch of grass from her apparently never-ending supply and I was standing idly by, waiting for her to finish. The figure – about 50 yards away - turned and I realized it was a child with a backpack, an equally unusual sight here in our Florida complex.

          We’re here for a few weeks, and it’s a bit different from what we experience in the wintertime. That’s one reason we’re here; the exodus from the North hasn’t started yet, which means it’s much quieter here and the roads are less crazy and we can actually get into a restaurant if we decide to eat out.

          But then again, it’s also much quieter here: our complex is a ghost town. I can walk the Mamester all around the property without encountering another soul. Some of this is of course because the snow birds haven’t yet taken flight, but another reason is we’ve had some turnover, particularly in our building.

          There’s an incredible building boom going on in our town and six or seven different sets of neighbors have opted to move to one of these new developments. Most have become full-time residents here in the past two years, and I imagine they found a condo a bit too confining. I’m sorry to see some (not all) of them leave, but I’m curious who will now be moving in.

          I thought about contacting the former owners next door, for instance, to see if they could tell me anything about the new folks, but then realized they probably don’t know any more than I do.

It’s funny - anything else we sell, it’s generally a face-to-face transaction. Yet with one of the most personal things you can sell, the home you’ve lived in, it’s an almost completely impersonal business and handled through intermediaries.

10 comments:

  1. I only met the woman who bought my New York apartment at the closing -- only long enough to tell her the kitchen faucet was BRAND NEW and didn't need to be replaced if she chose to renovate. Of course this was a completely ridiculous thing to say, but it's what came to mind at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you paid for that faucet! You wanted to make sure she appreciated it properly.

      Delete
  2. I think that's probably wise. what if you should take an instant dislike to the new owners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - living this close to each other is a tricky business.

      Delete
    2. I hope we never have to move again, although we might, if we live too much longer--we've lived 'out' in our own patch of forest, for about 45 years, and while I don't think neighbors would bother me, I suspect my husband would be on the boil all day over it. The true hermit. =)

      Delete
  3. You are so right about the impersonal business transaction - something I hadn't considered before.
    I hope your new neighbours are pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too hope your new neighbors are pleasant. There's not much to be done about it if they aren't. The world shrinks a bit more every day, it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm expecting new neighbours soon in a flat close to mine. After the last two tenants I'm hoping for someone quiet and more 'normal', someone who doesn't sleep all day and then clatters up and down stairs banging doors all night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I sold my mother's house the entire transaction was done through a real estate guy, and his advice to me (wisely) was, 'I need you to not be here when I'm showing the house." And I agreed. I met the girl once, at the signing, and saw her only once after that.

    I think it has to be that way, since often there's so much emotional baggage involved it can be uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.