Friday, July 26, 2019

Over Hill Over Dale



       So yesterday I gathered up my inadequacies and my golf bag and went to my usual Thursday league.
This week I drew as one of the members in our threesome a perfectly pleasant lady I’ve played with before, but she’s a former principal, and that, along with her Level 1 playing, always makes me feel like any minute I’m going to use the wrong end of the club.

The third in our party was an older, somewhat hesitant lady who told us it was her first time with this league. She’d been unable to get out since May because she’d been caring for her husband, who’d had a stroke this spring. This was her first time leaving him, although he was well enough that he’d taken himself to physical therapy.

All began well. Our new member and I were fairly evenly matched, while ex-principal as usual belted out drives that disappeared to the next county. It all came out somewhat even, though, because while newbie and I inched our way down the fairways, ex-principal occasionally had to swing out of the rough since those long drives developed a mind of their own at the end.

After we sank our putts at the third hole, our new member said, “I don’t feel well. I’m feeling faint.” It may have been the heat or worry over her husband, but she didn't feel she could continue.

Fortunately, I’d decided to rent a cart that day rather than walk. I elected to drive her back to the clubhouse while ex-principal stayed to tell those behind us to play through.

I deposited her safely back at go, but that’s not a trip I’d like to take again. In the interest of expedience I cut overland across the course. Most courses wind back and forth in serpentine style, doubling back on themselves. Trying to find my way back to the beginning without careening down a hill and expecting any minute to get beaned with a golf ball was a real test of concentration.  I felt a real kinship with those GIs out dodging enemy fire in WWII.
         

6 comments:

  1. It's not often I think of a golf course as a threatening place, but I can understand your uncertainty! Golf course terrain CAN be an adventure! (Of course I say that having never driven a cart and never played golf, so really, what do I know?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your new friend is ok. Heat and worry is a dangerous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hope your new friend is okay. And that you made it through the gauntlet without injury. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got her back safely and hope she is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an adventure for you both and hope she is feeling much better now. Good you had the cart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A golfing adventure! So nice of you to get her to safety:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.