Monday, January 7, 2019

North to South




We haven’t done anything particularly Florida-ish now that we’re here. We haven’t consumed one drink sporting an umbrella or walked hand-in-hand along the beach dressed all in white like those people of a certain age you see in ads for hearing aids, or perhaps laxatives.

          We are ready for life here, having stocked the refrigerator, the wine rack, and put out the porch furniture.   And we’re already settling into our roles as pseudo-Southerners.  The temperatures are hovering in the low 70s and upper 60s during the day, and instead of the shorts and t-shirts we would have been wearing in the same temps at home, we’ve grabbed our sweatshirt jackets like the locals.  Clothing at an area supermarket on a 65ish day could run from parkas (locals), to tank tops and flip-flops (tourists in denial).

          Today was my first trip of the season for yoga at the YMCA. Last spring I came home with 10 pounds more of me, so I need to get proactive fast. Apparently I wasn’t the only one. I had to park in a field in back of the facility, grabbing the very last spot, and walking past at least 10 cars circling fruitlessly. They even had a guy in a golf cart offering rides back to the building, which, if you ask me, canceled the whole purpose of being there in the first place.

          The Season is upon us (And yes, I know I’m one more of the invaders). The roads are filled, and anyone wanting to eat out should probably adopt the eat-before-5 philosophy if they plan to get into a restaurant. That old saw about retired people eating early has nothing do to with age. It’s just the only way you can get a meal around here.

13 comments:

  1. Those temperatures sound blissful to me. And yes, I would stand out. No jacket for me in those temperatures.
    I hope the yoga went well. I need to find a class here. Supple as a brick I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the bad luck of dropping my mat between two women who seemed to have their foreheads permanently attached to their knees, when they weren't busy balancing on one leg.

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have someone else acknowledge you must be there by five to get a table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I drank more heavily - then I wouldn't mind waiting an hour for a table.

      Delete
  3. I will be joining the throng in Florida next week, when I visit my sister in Tampa. I have three yoga classes here that I will miss and be trying to make up for when return. I know what you mean about the clothing being so different. I'll be wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt, probably. With shorts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be just down the road a bit in Tampa!

      Delete
  4. That's why they all eat early? I figured it was because they all fall asleep when the sun goes down, just like in the olden days before television.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about the early eating, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that bit about the clothes made me laugh. 60s to 70s during the day here the last several and I'm wearing an undershirt, a long sleeve shirt and jeans. shorts and t-shirts are reserved for 90s and up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, the Early Bird Special! I went to the YMCAs in both south Sarasota and Venice at different times while I lived down there, but I don't think I ever had to park in a field. That sounds a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I've both read and watched Lynley. As for Endeavour, I am not up to date but hope to be once we're done re-watching Morse. Meanwhile, have you watched Lewis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Lewis, too. Especially the actor in that role.

      Delete
  9. I figure the lunch specials are great for old folks and then just fruit or a salad for supper....or popcorn! Glad you are settled in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.