Saturday, March 24, 2018

Good Works



          Yesterday was pretty much a writing day.
No, not working on my deeply neglected third book, but instead I spent most of the day in front of the computer at my volunteer job here. Once a week I help out at VeniceMain Street, an entity dedicated to promoting our city small city and its events.

          I began by answering phones, always interesting when you’re new to a place and know no one and nothing much about where you work. It took me back to long-ago days (thankfully brief) of temp work. But at least now I’m a volunteer, and you get what you pay for.

          Once the word was out that I’m a retired English teacher, I was asked to proof-read others’ work. Then I was touching up other’s work, and then finally I was sent to just get out there, do the interview and write the piece. These are pretty much feel-good articles for the website or local paper, or sometimes reminders to local restaurants that flinging dishwater out the back door isn’t exactly welcoming to those tourists strolling down the alleyways.

          This does connect me to happenings around here in a way I wouldn’t usually experience. I’ve met the artist Mary Erickson, although that ended up being a little pricey since My Guy and I returned to her studio and bought two of her prints.

I’ve learned out about several organizations I didn’t know existed, and I’ve tasked My Guy with playing photographer on a city bike ride.

          This week I interviewed a woman who invented her own job by forming a marketing company to represent business owners at trade fairs and networking events, and had the best empanadas of my life at the same time. Yes, I apparently do work for food.

          The latest article might seem a little counter-intuitive for an area usually focused on fun, but after Irma’s visit this fall it makes sense.  I’m writing about the upcoming Hurricane Expo.

7 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Venice Main Street. I remember it well! In Florida, hurricane prep is a big, big deal, as you no doubt know by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you can volunteer and make use of your talents. And I would work for tasty food too. (No pride.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the line about volunteer work being that you get what you pay for. But great empanadas is not nothing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you've found something to keep you busy that you also like doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you are being useful. I am not exactly a former English teacher but a former teacher who has taught some high school English. If I proofread, which I only really tried once with a real author, I get bogged down, with "You don't know how to use a comma," or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's one way to get to know your new community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are valuable. Good for you. I (almost) wish someone wanted a skill I might have!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.