Monday, February 6, 2017

Not-so-parallel universes




I knew that being in Florida would feel very different from slogging through the winter in Massachusetts. This weekend, though, I passed through so many alternate dimensions I might as well have been in an old episode of Star Trek.
          On Saturday we delivered the Tiny Dog to the kind arms (or so I hoped) at the kennel and took to the highway. We were to rendezvous with my sister-in-law and husband at Uncle Bob’s in The Villages, a planned retirement community of 23,000 acres.  

          In the land of The Villages, everyone scoots around in golf carts, whether they’re golfing or not. There are specific golf cart lanes, special tiny golf cart garages next to the full sized ones, and many are tricked out and decorated beyond belief.

      Uncle Bob took us on a tour of his immediate area and we saw bocce courts, golf courses (duh – of course), bowling centers, tennis, pools, and even polo grounds. There are community centers, swimming pools, community theaters, and clubs, clubs, clubs. If you’re not having fun, you’re just damn well not trying. 

           Next on the agenda was meeting a chunk of the family at Disney World for sister-in-law’s milestone birthday. This was my first time, and I might as well have been a Trappist monk dropped into Times Square. Monorails zoomed overhead, busses zipped by, and there were kids, kids, kids. Definitely a sea change from Uncle Bob’s.

After taking a bus, then a boat, we landed at the location for our dinner, an enormous hotel constructed apparently out of redwoods and staffed by hearty bellowing servers whose jobs entailed as much theater as serving. Periodically everything would stop as children galloped through the dining room on wooden hobby horses, or else a table would shout for ketchup, which resulted in gathering and delivering every single bottle in the hall to that table. Children squealed, people yelled, and straws flew through the air.
          We slept well that night. 
          In the morning the rest of the family had to fly back to their world of snow and ice and we were left to our own devices. A trip to the car with our suitcases decided the matter – one of our tires was a steel-belted puddle on the ground.



 We limped off (with 5 pounds of air pressure, according to the gauge in the car) to find a station with an air pump.
 Now inflated again, heading home still seemed the safest decision, but we went by way of St Petersburg, home of the Salvador Dali museum. FYI, he’s not just about melting clocks – we were blown away by his technical skill and artistry but he did have an original outlook on life. 


By the end of the afternoon, a nursemaid with a rectangle carved out of her back or a phone with a
lobster receiver became to feel almost commonplace.

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good time. But like you , I', not sure I would really want to do Disney World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that Florida wears thin on me if I am there too long. It is baby boomers run Amok. The Villages is too Stepford Wives for me as well. I would certainly go crazy if I lived there. Give me a random life without so much programmed fun and golf carts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Dali museum. It really is incredible, both architecturally and artistically. Dali was a mad genius.

    I last went to Disney World in about 1995, and I don't care if I never go again -- though I used to love it when I was little.

    I've often been tempted to stop and photograph that power pole, but I've never pulled off the Interstate to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we were putting along at about 25 with our hazard lights going, thanks to the flat tire.

      Delete
  4. Golf cart garages? I do love your line about "Trappist monk". -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't visited Disney World for decades and have very little interest in it. You confirmed the wisdom for my reluctance. I sure would love to visit that Dali museum, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flat tire made the decision. Thank heaven we didn't spend all day walking around Disney World and come back that night to a flat tire!

      Delete
  6. The villages sounds like Disney world for Baby boomers. I'm with Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You left me hanging. I'm concerned about Tiny Dog. I wanted you to rush back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TD seems none the worse for wear, although our reunion at the kennel was practically cinematic.

      Delete
  8. I did Disney World once which is all an adult really needs to do. It is exhausting. I have a several friends in the Villages but it is too structured for me. If nothing else, it makes what you have seem perfectly all right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The restaurant sounds like a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.