Saturday, August 8, 2015

Home is where the laundry is



  
        We’re safely home from our vacation, although it is a bit hard to differentiate our vacation life from our retired life.
For a week we woke up when we wanted to, ate what we wanted, and did what we wanted when we wanted. The only real difference was the change of scene.

          The ride back was uneventful. The majority of house rentals are Saturday to Saturday, with the inevitable traffic results.   We took a different route this year, cleverly planned to avoid everyone else leaving the Cape at the exact same time we did. So instead of taking our usual route and getting gummed up in the Saturday standstill on one highway, we instead found ourselves in a different morass of unmoving traffic on our alternate choice. But eventually it cleared and we zipped home, making the simple 3 ¼ hour trip in our usual 4 ½ hours.

          Miraculously, when we opened our car doors after landing at home, our belongings did not explode onto the driveway like a practical joke can of “peanuts”. I swear I only bought one sweatshirt, a headband, and two swim cover-ups, but still our returning possessions threatened to block our ability to see out of the car windows.

          Since lunch on the road was a last gasp of holiday self-indulgence (me: lobster eggs benedict, he: a BQ burger with bacon, cheese, and onions), I couldn’t work up interest in whipping up a real meal of recognizable protein and two veggies.  And I wasn’t redeemed by my dinner, which was the rest of a slab of brie followed by a handful of mint M &M’s  (we all need our greens), but I did manage to find a perfectly acceptable frozen dinner for himself.

          After this past week, our intake should be limited to lettuce and all the tomatoes and the smattering of beans that ripened in the garden while we were away.   

         

13 comments:

  1. Okay, I get the picture. I like humor that makes me dig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vacation isn't over until the last brie and M&M's are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That exponential expansion of holiday belongings is incredible isn't it? And why, oh why does everything, including the items you haven't worn, need washing. Urgently.
    Your holiday indulgence sounded much more indulgent that himself's. Much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Dorothy so wisely said, There's no place like home. Glad you are home safely but I'm sure exhausted.

    I need to eat more green M & M's too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mint M&Ms qualify as greens? Dang! Why dint nobuddy tol' me? (*~*)
    If you're going to eat lettuce and tomatoes, put them on a burger I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got ripening tomatoes in my garden, too, but we already ate all the beans. That picture defies gravity, but it sure did make me take notice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had lunch of Doritos and some cherry tomatoes. Gave the same to my four year old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah to settle back into the lack of routine of retirement. You are right. Vacations now days is just a change of scenery, not life style. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is hilarious! Is there anything worse than having to fix a meal after just arriving home from vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your eating style and must considering adopting such.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have told 'himself' to scrounge up his own meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made me laugh when I saw the photo. Yes, vacations, even when you are retired, are different from everyday life. They are welcomed, but home is welcomed more. Good to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.