![]() |
| The view below my bedroom window. |
There is some risk to setting your
work of fiction in the town where you live. When I started my series, I
thought, ‘Why invent a new town when I have a perfectly good one right here?’
And so I did, with a fair amount of license: rearranging buildings, changing
the name of the roads, moving the middle school, and so forth. My town isn’t a
hotbed of murder, but there are times when reality and the world I’ve made up
blur.
Today after breakfast, I figured it was going to be a pretty inactive day, so I went out for a walk around our complex, only about a mile depending on how much weaving in and out you do.
On the access road into where we live, I spied The Gang standing around idly in the middle, possibly deep in a meeting of whether to go to that side of the road or this one.
I turned around so as not to disturb them – they’d likely be there for a while working that out.
After a shower I set off for the
library, which just like in my books, is accessed under a canopy of four Japanese
maples. Inside, I checked the new fiction shelves and saw a name that looked
familiar. Checking the author’s picture on the inside showed me that yep, I’d
met her at my first literary conference when she was a big cheese and I was a
newbie. Cool.
My next stop was the D’s, to see what
was happening with my books. When I don’t see any of the four, I worry that the
library has finally realized what a two-bit writer I am and tossed them. When I
do see them on the shelf, I worry that no one wants to check them out. Today
three were missing, one still there. Phew.
On my way back to Main Street on this
perfect sunny 78-degree day, an 11ish kid went by on his ebike, imaginings of
race courses in his head. A young mother pushed a stroller down the sidewalk,
another child skipped alongside. And as I waited for an opening to turn, a
truck went by with an ecstatic dog, his tongue flapping the breeze.
Cue the Disney butterflies.



I love reading novels where I know the town being featured in the story. It just adds a whole other layer of interest to the tale.
ReplyDeleteMe too. Or if you read a series, the settings are so familiar they almost become real. Nero Wolfe’s greenhouse full of orchids, Stephanie Plum’s parents’ dinner table.
DeleteI used to imagine seeing books on shelves with my name on them but I never seem to be able to finish anything I write, and these days I'm okay with that.
ReplyDeleteIt’s still pretty surreal.
DeleteI think that you must feel very proud to have your books in the library. And there's nothing better than a small town in my humble opinion. Your last paragraph captured it perfectly.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Michael. I was trying to capture at least some of the magic I was feeling in that moment.
DeleteMarty I'm sorry I haven't visited here recently. What a gentle picture you painted of your small town's setting. And that's amazing you're a published writer. Wow.
ReplyDeleteYour town seems wonderful, right down to the sunny 78-degrees.
ReplyDeleteThree were missing books and one still there is a win!
Your town sounds the sort of place most people would love to live - comfortable, friendly, community-minded - but MURDER! It can happen anywhere. 😉
ReplyDeleteIt certainly seems quiet on the surface, but I don't exactly have an inside loop to the goings-on at our police HQ.
Delete