Sunday, May 26, 2024

Beast and the Beauty

 

More yard news.

Today was gardening day, i.e. trying to regain a little control in the back yard.



 Meet mugwort, wormwood, or also known aptly as Artemesia Vulgaris. It’s vulgaris, all right. This was my first foray this spring to work on the island in back of our porch and like a guest who won’t leave, the mugwort had settled in, spreading its arms over all the plants there and its feet up on their coffee table.

          We’re in our 7th year here but I’m still trying to figure out what plants the previous owners left me. In past years, I’ve mistakenly tried to contain the mugwort, thinking maybe later in the season it’ll do something interesting. By the time the season winds down, I’ve forgotten to see if it had quietly flowered when I wasn’t looking.

          This year it’s outa here. Good riddance, since when I looked it up I learned that it’s invasive in several states (no surprise) and Indiana even bans all sale and distribution.

     







     As for good news, I unearthed some of the sweet plants previous owner Betty left behind - an astilbe and a coral bell, with its charming little flowers.

       







   Our backyard is actually considered common area, owned by all, but this circular flower bed is mine to ignore or care for. 





And I’m glad I do get out there once in a while because today while sitting on my weeding stool, I looked up through my still-blooming bleeding hearts to see this spectacular rhododendron display two houses over.



8 comments:

  1. I am wrestling with couch grass. Probably in vane. Again. Those rhodies are a glorious sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't heard of it before so I just looked it up. Ooog. You're going to busy.

      Delete
  2. Meanwhile "my" lawn which is kikuyu not couch, continues to die back as the ground shrinks and compacts because of drought and saving it would cost more money that I can afford. The rhododendrons are gorgeous. I hope you manage to get rid of the mugwort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coral bells are the sweetest little things, and make humming birds happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coral bells and I'm grateful to the previous owner for leaving them.

      Delete
  4. What a nice yard! And those rhodies are breathtaking. I had some of that Artemisia sprout in one of our planters -- I have no idea where the seed came from because it's not in our garden. I left it for a while but when I figured out what it was I pulled it, before it flowered, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a yard can look pretty wonderful when you have condo association landscapers doing the mowing!

      Delete
  5. I have a fondness for astilbe. Your yard is lovely. Here in Central Florida development culture, ever house has a privacy fence, so we can't see what is in our neighbors back yards. I often wonder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.