Friday, December 30, 2022

Worlds Collide


Christmas has subsided and I can now sleep without waking up at 3 a.m. to wonder if I have enough eggs for the annual holiday omelet, or if Handsome Son already has a cargo liner for the back of his car (He did. Thank you Amazon returns).

          Soon I’ll be leaving the Land of Perpetual Carbs and Chocolate and heading to the scary South, where there are no forgiving sweaters and bulky sweatshirts. Today, for the first time in months I paint my toenails again; maybe a bright enough color will draw the eye away from cookie-induced lumpiness.

          I’m now entering the zone of tiny details – did I pack the charging cords, replace the furnace filter, reroute the magazines, bring a night light for the hotel room, gather all meds?

We always travel on New Year’s Day, since we figure most of the world will be lounging in bed while we’re racing to put the northern corridor traffic behind us. Plus, since we have to get up early, this eliminates what used to be my Dec 31st FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), that nagging feeling of failure because I’m not out whooping it up with 300 of my best friends, welcoming in the new year.

Now I’m off to clean the fridge and create a lunch out of leftovers.  

10 comments:

  1. A road trip sounds pretty nice, actually. I could use a change of scene. Take me with you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. We're headed to Venice but can drop you off on the way.

      Delete
  2. Happy (and safe) travels. We tend to stay off the roads during the holiday periods if we can. There are too many tired, stressed and sadly sometimes drunk people determined to get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We figure everyone's sleeping off the celebrations of the night before.

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful idea, travel while the rest of the world sleeps in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year 2023 to you and yours. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need a "check-off" list for those charging cords and furnace filters etc. Be careful on those icy northern roads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy travels and Happy New Year if you don’t post again before then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.