Saturday, June 19, 2021

New Arrival

A slow day today, although I did manage to pack a few cleaning/organizing projects into it. These always warm my Virgo heart; nothing more satisfying than a shelf with everything stacked neatly.

Not that it stays that way, but it does provide that first initial rush, like a new pair of shoes you visit in your closet.

     The catalyst was a new fridge, which inspired me to straighten the corner of the basement it would inhabit.  When we bought this place, we acquired a refrigerator about the same size and heft as the monolith from 2001:Space Odyssey. It sat in the basement and I could see why the previous owners had sent it there. In fact, in an overheard conversation between Betty (previous owner) and Barbara (real estate agent), I distinctly heard her say that she truly hated it. It perked along just fine for a couple of years and I got used to working around its poor design of narrow French doors, freezer on one side, fridge on the other. Frozen pizzas had to be angled in, and any turkey moved into the fridge to thaw had a definite girth limit. Still, it was useful to store drinks that wouldn’t fit upstairs.

     When it began producing a little puddle on the floor, we emptied and unplugged it and there it sat until our power company, National Grid, sent a flyer offering to carry off working fridges and pay us $75 for them. They came and somehow heaved our big white colossus up from the basement and off to another life.


 

 

     Today, the new and much smaller fridge arrived. One guy at the top of the stairs, the other beneath on the receiving end. The new fridge may have been smaller, but it still was large enough to flatten anyone below like a tortilla. I couldn’t watch, but Mamie was on the job and somehow they got it down there without incident. 


 

    

 

9 comments:

  1. Woo hoo. Enjoy your new fridge to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brand new appliances, they make me clean and tidy everything around them to look as new as possible to match the new appliance. That usually wears off in about a month and I'm back to my usual slobby self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for Mamie; she actually warded off disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we moved here, the fridge that was to go in the basement couldn't make it down those stairs. It sat in the garage for awhile but kept freezing up in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which I guess is why you only see fridges on front porches in the South.

      Delete
  5. It must feel good to get rid of the old one. I can't think of a job I would less rather have than moving refrigerators. (Well, yes, I can, but it's right up there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Guy and I often share observations about jobs we'd hate to have. Last night during one of our many English cops shows, the detective stood at someone's front door, waiting to tell them their child was dead.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear it all went without any mishaps. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.