Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Neighbors

          My morning walks around our complex are usually just me, my headphones, and the news.

Every now and then, though, I do run into a few of the other residents. They all seem to have a much busier day than mine, though.

 

This guy, possibly an egret (?), was too busy scanning for breakfast to bother about me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 This sandhill crane obviously already had his day all planned. And more power to him since they eat mice and snakes, among other things. Sometimes as tall as 4 feet, with a 6 foot wingspan, they're protected here. 

 One of our many moorhens, although they don't seem as numerous as last year. I wonder if the arrival of our gator might have something to do with this. 

 

And the fish in our lagoon aren't as fancy as the puffer fish found in Japan, with their intricate circles like the one below, often decorated with sand dollars to attract a girlfriend,

but our local fish seem to have the same idea in mind. This is either a guy waiting for his next date, or maybe it's Mom protecting her eggs.


 

 


 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm happy to say I haven't seen our local gator lately.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pattern from the puffer fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would certainly be impressed with anyone who went to the Japanese puffer fishes lengths to attract me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those puffers are fascinating, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. That is so cool that you just see a sandhill crane walking around the neighbourhood! It's such a thrill to see a large bird like that. We have great blue herons occasionally. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're big. And seem to know they're protected; quite often they'll walk right across the fairway as we're preparing to tee off.

      Delete
  5. Love those sandhill cranes. Hope you get to see a baby one. They are orange balls of feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures of your residents. I enjoy seeing pictures of creatures I wouldn't see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your resident wildlife. They don't seem concerned by your presence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.