Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Living in the Moment

It occurred to me today that not unlike humans dealing with dementia, it must be terrifying to be a dog and only live in the now. 

Poor Mamie – far from the bravest Indian in the tribe – went to the groomer’s today. I’m her second owner - her first, a kind woman who loved her, had to give her up due to friction with another dog in the household (Mamie was of course, entirely blameless.) So, when I take Mamie somewhere, or am gone from home too long, I suspect that each time she’s re-living that abandonment.

          If I let her hair grow, she turns into a tiny twelve-pound sheep dog. This would be all well and good if I were a better owner. However, I’m not, because she hates having her hair combed and I’m a softy, she gets pretty snarly.

   


       The before picture of the unsuspecting Mamie.

 

 

 

 

 


          The after of a clean dog who wasn’t abandoned at the groomers after all.

 

10 comments:

  1. Poor Mamie.
    I am very, very glad that she wasn't abandoned. Again. And understand her fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you able to stay with her for the grooming? I used to hold Angel when he needed trimming for the summer, only once did I have to leave him when he had snarls and prickles embedded in his coat and needed a full shave under anaesthetic. It might be easier for her if you are there, even if they put her under, you will be there as she falls asleep and still there as she wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most groomers I've been to just don't have the room for any extraneous humans. I keep telling myself that she'll someday learn that this is okay, and that Mom will come back. Of course, this falls into the category of teaching an old dog new tricks. . . .

      Delete
  3. She looks so much like my daughter's dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to take a Persian cat for haircuts because we were also bad owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely. And having lived alongside cats for over 40 years, I'm pretty sure they were even less accommodating about being groomed than Mamie.

      Delete
  5. Sweet Mamie. She does look good and I'm sure she was thrilled to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured from your earlier comments, I'd better bring Mamie back into my writings.

      Delete
  6. What a transformation! She may be insecure, but she IS adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I have a short hair dog. and if I ever get another cat it will be a short hair cat because the long hair cat I have insists on being brushed every evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.