Friday, April 26, 2019

Ducks of a Feather


Apparently we’re not the only ones about to up sticks.


On my walk around the complex with Mamie I counted approximately 50 ducks, unlike our usual 5 or 6. Maybe after their winter of snowbirding here, they’ve gathered the troops for the long trek home. One person who swears she saw them fanning out in patters on the grass said that she thinks it’s a training exercise so the less experienced teens born this year will know what their position is in the V.

I will say that it has all the earmarks of a somewhat contentious family reunion. You rarely see them all together; they’re usually in separate clumps here and there of 8 or 10.

Kind of like, “Okay, fine, I get that we all have to travel together, but that doesn’t mean I want to spend my down time with your family.”

7 comments:

  1. Smiling (ruefully) at your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is that and a whole lot more going on in Duckville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Cute little guys, even if there are so many that they have to be segregated from one another. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we there yet Mom? Hope they travel better than human kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder what kind of ducks those are? They don't look like mallards. (Which is the duck I remember seeing most often in Florida.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love the magic of migrations; we are on the other end of many of the southern migrations, and the sound of geese heading further north just wipes me out, every time. It's probably my own sensibility but there seems to be such joy and anticipation in that flight...

    and every flight, north or south, is heading home. Either way.

    My favorite, for entertainment, is when crows migrate (no one is really sure where they go, or why, just that they do...)--raucous, scattered, they remind me of my Dad's family on a good day--all cheerfully shouting and waving their arms, oh dear, did you lock the door, yes, did you, and they all laugh hysterically...

    ReplyDelete
  7. just looked up those ducks, they are 'black bellied whistling ducks'. There. Now we can sleep. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.