Thursday, December 6, 2018

The Great Reveal


A trip to your primary care doctor for your annual physical pretty much just means a shower and checking to see if you have a hole in your sock.

          The dermatologist is a whole ‘nother kettle of fish.

          Absolutely nothing is left to the imagination in a full-body skin check.

          Now that we’re sometime Florida residents, and since at my age, let’s face it, every other body part is teetering on the brink, I recognize the wisdom of inviting a complete stranger to pore over every inch of my body with a literal magnifying glass.

          So yesterday I took more care in my preparations than I used to before a hot date back in the mists of time. At least then I had darkness on my side, not to mention the benefit of the other party being seriously distracted by hormones.

          Of course a shower. And with no desire to emulate a female Russian Olympian, a shave of relevant places. And those toenails – the ones I’ve been hiding in socks for the past two months?  Better remove the last shreds of September polish, but then that revealed chips and discoloration, and so next a quick pedicure. Lotion up the winter dry skin, dig out presentable underwear, put together a quick on/off ensemble and off I went.

          The good news was that even though my daughter asks if I’ve seen the doctor whenever she gets a look at my polka-dotted back, I’m okay. Though in my next life, it'd be nice to come back with something other than the pale, freckled skin of my English/Scottish ancestors.  

11 comments:

  1. I am getting way too many growths and moles on my trunk. This is such a phenomenon of my Italian ancestry. I would love that mile and cream of the northern folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you. My partner has your sort of skin, and each year has to have more and more pieces burnt and sliced away. Not fun. I avoid the sun, and so far have had no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not freckled but white white. just had my own visit with the dermatologist. my face looked like I'd been beat up by the time he was through with the freezing spray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I walk into the dermatologist's office, he already has the liquid nitrogen in hand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my annual check up on Tuesday. My doc lets me make some of the decisions. He'll give me three choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that sure doesn't come across like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a skin check. Not an all-over one anyway. There was a spot I asked my doctor about and she looked at it with a magnifying thing like jewellers use and pronounced it to be just an ordinary mole. Glad to hear you are okay and not scheduling surgery for skin cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that cartoon. Congrats on your checkup! Getting in to see a dermatologist is not always easy, but the peace of mind is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think dermatology checks are the scary ones, since you have no idea what might be going on back there (and few people want to tell you--except for the ones who say, "my sister had one of those, my she rest in peace...) and the things that everyone tells you are 'potentially dangerous' your doctor looks at and says, "piffle, just a mole. At your age..."

    Good to know you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cartoon. I have a young dermatologist...yup same thing with the magnifying glass and a special light. Glad you were okay:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.