Monday, December 12, 2016

Last week in review







     We were madcap social butterflies last week.


     Usually, the highpoint of our social life is hitting the 4:30 Senior Special at the local cinema, but over the past few days we've inexplicably gone through a succession of art showings, tree lightings, and open houses.
I also managed to throw in some always-therapeutic girlfriend breakfasts and lunches for myself here and there. 


          The official beginning of the holidays in our small town began on Sunday, with a tree lighting ceremony in Gazebo Park and a visit from Santa. We brought Mamie with us, but I soon had her in my arms due to the combination of darkness, number of people, and how easy it would be to squash that tiny dog at your feet.
          The night was cold but clear, and the tree showed up nicely against the night sky. Some enterprising soul had set up a microphone, so the whole town heard each little voice spilling his secrets to Santa. They might want to re-think that next year.

          A few days later I had a festive trip to the vet’s to update Mamie’s shots where I learned one of our backyard ticks had hitched a ride with her, resulting in a diagnosis of anaplasmosis. Fortunately, she’s such a cheese hog the pills are no problem.

          Last week also found me at the repair shop for an oil change. I usually stay and while I was in the waiting room a young man and his grandfather came in and sat by me. Grandpa was one of those men who thought a constant repetition of “excuse me” cancelled out each of the burps he emitted with great regularity.
          I was working my way through my latest murder mystery, but couldn’t help but hear some of their conversation.
          Grandson: “. . . up to employers how they handle it, isn’t it? I mean, why is it okay if some people drink themselves to death and someone else can’t smoke a little weed before work?”
          I’m hoping he wasn’t taking time off that morning from his job as a neurosurgeon.

          And today we decided to set up the artificial tree, which has spent the past year in the shed out back.

The shed where the mice ate through every one of My Guy’s collection of baseball gloves.
Yes, you guessed it –

 









         Good thing we didn’t wait for a warm family moment of decorating with the grandchildren.

17 comments:

  1. Oops.
    It it wrong of me to be smiling at the thought of mice having a tinsel be-decked nest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be mad at the mice myself. After all, I'm a baseball fan! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A smorgasbord week, that's for sure. It would not have been warm and fuzzy, baseball mitt stuffing notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we suspected they froze to death. Artificial pine needles aren't all that warm.

      Delete
  4. Christmas time is crazy busy. The same thing will happen here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! That mouse had a pretty plaything for a bit. Hope he didn't eat anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love most animals but my sympathy towards mice runs rather thin. That's funny that the children were broadcasted when visiting Santa. I suppose it helped if the parents hadn't finished their shopping yet, they would know what to buy. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although with all those witnesses, they parents had better get what was broadcasted.

      Delete
  7. And this is why my fake tree lives in the corner of the wardrobe.
    I'm having a little giggle over the whole town hearing the kids Christmas wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the warm and fuzzy moments were overridden by the baseball-park type audio.

      Delete
  8. You made me laugh when you recounted the conversation you overheard. Glad to hear that Mamie will be all right. You certainly have an eclectic week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. The gloves are gone forever, but I suspect there's plenty more mice where those came from!

      Delete
  10. we crashed an open house Saturday night. our friend Gene wanted us to see a commission he did for them so we went with him to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, there is never such a thing as one cockroach or one mouse. Hope the rest of your treasures are spared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mice have been horrid this year. I think there is a product that is used commercially, it is a papery like cloth and it is supposed to work real good. Goggle Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent. You had a busy week:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.