Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Rising Tide

 

          We’re getting a little jumpy here in Massachusetts about our little town in Venice, FL.     

 After never having even known anyone who went to Florida in the winter, ever, we somehow became part-time residents. And now we’re staring into the headlights of Milton.

          Granted, in 2011 here in our town in New England we had a tornado (no power for a week, and no water since we had a well), a touch of hurricane Irene, and Snowtober in the fall, when a notable snowstorm came before the leaves had dropped (and again, no power for a week, and again, no water).

          Our Venice place is in a three-floor building, on the first floor. When the elevator has broken My Guy and I have made smug comments to each other about how clever we were to buy on the first level (In reality, it was cheaper that the units above.)

Now we’re not feeling so smug. We’re in the evacuation zone, as is just about all of Venice as far as I can tell.  At least it’s a newer building with hurricane-graded windows, but that may be a moot point if the surge reaches our building, 3 ½ miles from the ocean.

          Unreasonably, I keep looking for live updates from the scene, you know, where everyone, including reporters, should have evacuated by now.

         

Meanwhile there’s this –












          Halloween and Christmas gazing at each other across the same aisle at Home Depot.

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen that about the track shifting farther south. Last I saw it was headed for Sarasota. Fingers crossed your place is OK! Three and a half miles seems a long way for storm surge to travel, but you might get flooding from the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your 'other' home is safe.
    We really don't celebrate Halloween here, though some of the stores are making a half hearted effort. Christmas on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the hurricane misses your Florida home and that of my other Florida blog friends too, really I just hope this might be the last hurricane, I dislike seeing people's homes and lives destroyed.
    I haven't noticed any Christmas items in stores here yet, but I haven't been taking much notice either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately, with climate change I'm afraid this is the new norm.

      Delete
  4. May your place remain safe and dry, as probably impossible as that may be. I consider hurricanes to be much more terrifying than blizzards and loss of power. But then, we know how to weather those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you don't suffer any damage from the storm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.