Saturday, July 4, 2015

Out of Body, Out of (my) Mind





          I was running a tad late the other morning, caused as usual by a few too many minutes in front of what a non-techno friend calls “the machine”, aka my computer. Amazing how it can suck up time like a chamois on a wet car. 


           I steered my car around a corner on my way to pick up my friend and it occurred to me that my recollection of putting on my sandals was a bit hazy.


          I wiggled my left foot and then carefully moved around the toes on the gas pedal. They felt the same. I did remember putting a black sandal on my right foot, but there the memory stopped. It occurred to me that my red sandals do exactly the same kind of stretchy, loopy thing around the toe and over the arch. Oh dear.


          I arrived in my friend’s driveway and was able to pause and look down. All was well. Another dodgy moment averted.


          I’m not sure whether to be reassured or not by the fact that this is not a new occurrence.  I can recall sitting in boring meetings at work ten years ago and playing a silent game with myself of, “what am I wearing?” The principal at the front of the auditorium would be droning on about some pointless administrative detail and I would stare ahead, trying to remember what it was I had put on my body that morning.


          I can also arrive at my destination after a good half-hour’s drive with no clear idea of how I got there. Oh sure, I stopped when I was supposed to, and didn’t leave a wake of bodies in the roadway behind me (I don’t think), but the details of the trip evaded me. 


          I like to think that my mind is operating on a higher plane, that it doesn’t become consumed with everyday mundane details. Unfortunately, in reality my drifty moments are usually caught up in wondering about the origin of polydactyl cats, or how to stop the chipmunks from eating all our hosta.

25 comments:

  1. I do that, too, get on autopilot and wonder how the heck I got where I did. That's funny about the sandals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when the spacey driving thing happens I try not to tell my passengers.

      Delete
  2. When going to college, as an adult so no excuse, looked down and had 2 different shoes on, made a quick dash to the shoe store.
    Once arranged for a salt lick to be placed in the staff lounge before a staff meeting, the principal was not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me that my faculty meetings would have been a lot more interesting if you'd been there.

      Delete
  3. My nasty neighbor wore one black shoe and one brown shoe to her snooty workplace, and she called me to dig in her closet to fix the situation.

    I think they call that highway hypnosis. It's common, I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you couldn't have suddenly developed a broken leg in order to leave her mis-matched for the rest of the day.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes we get used to doing stuff that it seems we are on auto pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to listen to audio books on my 35 minute drive to work and when I got to the parking lot has no memory of what happened after I left the house. I quite listening to those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I've missed more than one exit doing exactly that.

      Delete
  6. I plead guilty. I too often zone out.
    I laughed when you were describing racking your brain about what you were wearing. I volunteer on a crisis line. Early one morning a sexual fantasy caller (sigh) asked what colour knickers I was wearing. I hadn't a clue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is funny - but probably just as well you couldn't help him out!

      Delete
  7. I do that driving thing also. Scary but like you, I leave no smushed up cars in my wake---that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

      Delete
  8. I play a mind game every morning, called what did I have for supper last night. I generally must reconstruct, starting with was it on a plate or in a bowl, but I generally come up with it, and I give my mind a pass for another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have the useful purpose of saving you from a Groundhog Day of eating the same thing for dinner every night.

      Delete
  9. I used to operate that way but no more. With my limited vision I concentrate hard to take in as many details as I possibly can. It's almost like I need to treasure each moment and yet I also feel an anxiety because this loss is not reversable any more.
    My auto pilot days are gone but I recall them very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's the kind of comment that makes me pause and as the writer below suggests, reminds me to be more mindful in the moment.

      Delete
  10. It's what's called going through the motions! When I had seizures, I would not make new memories. If i was thinking about something I didn't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been quite difficult to cope with, Red.

      Delete
  11. My husband wore mismatched shoes to town...he drove home 14 miles to change. Brain on auto...put driving as a priority every time because it is so easy to get lulled by the road noise and movement and familiar road...it is a form of distracted driving...so be present in the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have whole days where I wonder what the heck I did yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that brings the happiness of each day feeling fresh and new. . .?

      Delete
  13. oh, yes, driving with no recollection of it. it's a good thing our subconscious minds take over and do all the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've done the same thing! On the way to my daughter's house, a one hour drive on a long country road, I was so totally out if it when a flash and screeching tires broke my trance. I had driven through a stop sign, going 60 mph. The oncoming car, going 55 to 60 mph too, swerved and missed me. I came within two seconds of being killed. Her car would have hit me right on the driver's side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.