Thursday, June 13, 2024

The snack conundrum

 (A non-crabby pants Thursday post)

My return to my local book club yesterday was very pleasant.

We had read Dennis Lehane’s Small Mercies, which I’ve written about previously. The consensus was that it was a page turner but that it was difficult to really engage with any of the characters. It takes place during Boston’s school busing crisis, and all the characters were filled with xenophobic rage and hatred.

          The best part was we all met in the town library. I had dropped out of the group a few years ago over the discomfort of having people (some of whom I barely knew) crammed in my too-small living room. This session was great. No one had to clean their house, no getting out glassware and plates, no baking competitions, no artfully arranged fruit offerings. We all sat at a big bare table, chatted a bit, had our discussion, and that was that.

          Along the same vein, at the senior center in town, the Thursday mahjong ladies will often bring cookies, or a small cake and everyone breaks for snack time. The women I attend with always politely decline all offerings on the premise that they themselves don’t want to get caught up in the whole rotating snack contributions thing.  I did crack last time when a yummy slice of lemon poppyseed cake came my way. If I keep that up, I should probably at least bring in some banana bread.

7 comments:

  1. Both outings sound like winners. Sigh on the baking conundrum though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ironically, I love to bake, but am uninterested in an "arms race" of putting out the best spread.

      Delete
    2. Where I used to live had weekly happy hour, host provided snacks. There was an arms race for that. Don't miss the weekly part, it was too often.

      Delete
  2. The one book club I belonged to met in the town library. I could never persuade them to read more than YA books--and we were all old ladies! I gave them a year and then left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's far too much one-upmanship in the rotating snacks contributions. The best idea is for each to bring their own small snack and no sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And strangely - or on the other hand, considerately - they always bring gluten-free baked goods. I'm not going to be stocking up on almond flour just for the mahjong gang.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.