Thursday, January 25, 2024

Time Travel


 A letter to the editor in Tuesday’s paper reminded me of something else I read the other day. The writer, who came to spend the winter here in Florida, said he hadn’t realized that not only was he traveling south, but he was also moving backward in time.

            Did you know that –

            Florida observes Robert E. Lee’s birthday on Jan 19, Confederate Memorial Day on April 26, and Jefferson Davis’ birthday on June 8. At least they’re not paid holidays for state employees, although they are in Alabama and Mississippi. Even better, in 1983 several states combined Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday with Robert E. Lee celebrations to create “King-Lee Day.”

            And DiSantis’ campaign may be over, but the book banning continues and in the latest development, sociology has been canceled in the public colleges.

            At Pickleball the other day, one person said she’d have to leave early because she was going to an abortion rally. I said, “Good for you,” and then realized she’d probably be holding a different placard than the one I was picturing.

11 comments:

  1. Sigh. That traveling backwards in time would bother me. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two adult daughters are both planning on moving, one to Canada, the other to Germany if trump is elected. I encourage the action, the US us moving towards a authoritarian state, and women will be second class citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I don't live in Florida, a backward state for sure. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the reality is travelling backward in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The going backwards thing bothers me a lot and it isn't only Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really upsets me how this country is seemingly moving backwards in time. I am thankful I don't live in the deep south. I have lived in Virginia for most of my adult life and I have seen the state swing from being a red state to a purple state and that is fine with me! I could never live in Florida. If Trump wins a second term, I just don't know what I am going to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an Arlington girl myself, but left for college - before I had any political awareness. Yes, glad to see things swinging into the purple zone. Trump winning is the stuff nightmares are made of.

      Delete
  7. We lived in Utah for a while, and it was a bit of a culture shock regarding the influence of the Mormon pioneers. But Florida - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely true that Florida has its backward moments. But I must say, in all my 33 years of living there, I never heard anyone make a big deal out of any of those Confederate holidays. They may have been on the calendar but they were not really "celebrated," at least not at any school, university or local government office I attended.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.