Friday, January 26, 2024

Sleeping Easy

So “Succession” scored 27 nominations, with 6 winners. Big deal. I got rid of a couch.

          Truly, this felt like a comparable achievement. As anyone who’s tried to unload a piece of stuffed furniture can tell you, accomplishing this can give you the same rush of victory.  Plus, if you’re lucky enough to find someone willing to take it off your hands, you still need them to, well, take it.

          It was only a small loveseat, but it’s not like we could tote it out to the car ourselves, even if it didn’t have a fold-out bed inside.

          Fortunately, last year I’d helped here in a complex-wide spring clean out that sent unwanted items to a charitable foundation that not only would take upholstered furniture (in resaleable condition) but pick it up in their truck as well.

 


         This was at least the couch’s second home – we’d bought it at a consignment shop – but it was time for it to move on. A couch that only sleeps one, preferable someone under 5’10”, wasn’t cutting it with our 6+ plus grandsons who’d already pointed out that under the mattress was the same back-breaking iron bar seen in that Seinfeld episode. And flinging blow-up mattresses on the floor in our tiny den wasn’t working either.

          Nervously, off to Amazon I went. I’ve never bought anything larger than a lawn chair on line, but I was desperate – and cheap. What I had in mind was hundreds and hundreds of dollars in the stores here.  Magically, in the same morning the couch went and four big boxes were delivered by a none-too-happy Amazon guy.


         



My Guy’s and my graduate degrees were put to the test, but we assembled one chair in spite of the graphic directions being reversed at one point.


 I put together the second the next day while he was hovering next to the window (for reception), trying to sort out our hacked and tangled financial life.



          They’re not exactly cushy, but we now have two useful chairs that take up much less room when unfolded, and yet are 78” long for the big boys. I’m ordering bed toppers to enhance the experience.

6 comments:

  1. The only chair I ever bought from Amazon came assembled. It was a Lane, I think. Still have it, many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look cushy enough to me. I have the opposite problem with chairs, being only five feet tall, I find everything made these days ahd a seat so deep I can't sit all the way back and still have my feet on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tasteful chairs. Congratulations on the couch heave-ho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! Congrats on getting that thing assembled. I look forward to hearing about their comfort (or not).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the chairs! What sleeper-sofa designer EVER thought that iron bar would be tolerable?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.