Thursday, January 21, 2021

Hole On One

 

     My golf game is unpredictable at best.

I can just as easily tee up and hit a long, straight drive as I can use the exact same swing to send it 4 sad little feet to my left. It’s anyone’s guess what’s going to happen.

     Still, I did achieve something most golfers never will. There is a smallish body of water to hit over at one point. Even though the distance is actually shorter than many drives that I’ve made with no problem, having that water between me and dry land can have a psychological effect. I even switch balls beforehand for when it inevitably disappears into the drink.

     This week there was a twist – a 5 or 6 foot reptile dosing just at the opposite edge. I swung, my ball sailed beautifully aloft . . it was almost there . . . almost there. . . . and it landed with a thump on the half-submerged olive green snout.


 

Note the arrow pointing out the final resting place of my ball. I decided against retrieving it.

 

 

     To his credit, he didn’t even appear to blink, but went right back to his contemplation of the universe.

7 comments:

  1. I am very glad that he didn't register the intrusion on his personal space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it had landed on flat ground, top of the hill, I would have ignored it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very dedicated golfer to golf with those beasts around. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He didn't even blink? Wow. Probably enjoying the sun too much to bother moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered for a moment if he was some kind of Disney-type fake alligator installed to add another level to the water hazard. Except there are gators in several spots on this course.

      Delete
  5. No no no. You must play the ball where it lies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I suspect that ball can rest there in perpetuity. Nobody going after that one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.