Sunday, January 24, 2021

Blooming Late

          During my years as a stay-at-home mom, I was always looking for something to fill my day.

Sewing clothes for the kids – a futile effort if ever there was one, since they outgrew them so quickly. Making all our own bread – while my sainted husband ate his sandwich at work with a knife and fork since it didn’t have the elasticity of gratifyingly spongy store bread.

          Then I began working full time and there was no problem filling the day. I was usually working on a degree, the beds still needed clean sheets, the kids still liked to be fed and had games to be driven to, and once I was teaching, there were always those piles of papers to grade and lessons to plan.

          When it came, I welcomed retirement with open arms. Except I’ve never been good at empty days, and you can only eat lunch out so often, so I looked around for new endeavors. I became a regular at our museum’s lecture days. I joined a writing group. I took up golf.

When I picked up last week’s The New Yorker, one particular article really called to me.  It’s a review of “Beginners: The Joy and Transformative Power of Lifelong Learning” by Tom Vanderbilt.  The reviewer, Margaret Talbot, writes,

There’s the fear of being bad at something you think is worthwhile – and, maybe even more so, being seen to be bad at it – when you have accustomed yourself to knowing, more or less, what you’re doing.

As the ball whizzes by me one more time on the Pickleball court, or the shot I’d visualized on the golf course disappears into the bushes, I’ve come to realize that I’m never going to be particularly good at these things. With luck, I might be adequate.

I’ve finally learned to enjoy golf, Pickleball provides me with exercise and conversation, and I’m already compiling notes for my fourth book. Perfection is over-rated.

 

13 comments:

  1. Perfection is an impossibility here and dare I say it, a little dull too.
    Which doesn't stop some attempt to improve but falling short of perfection is one of the few things I don't beat myself up about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as long as you are enjoying yourself and don't mind being the butt of the occasional joke skill level isn't that important. unless, of course, you intend to compete but then it becomes serious business and the fun is secondary. me, I go for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One things about growing older is the freedom from concern about what others think.

      Delete
  3. What Ellen said, and EC. They have all the words tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more easily pleased. A big stack of books to read and I'm happy all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and the joy of having the time to read them.

      Delete
  5. I once hung this saying in my classroom.
    The only failure is in not trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. I often worked on the principle that if I posted a saying or message, it would drill itself into their conscientiousness just through staring at it every day.

      Delete
  6. When I practiced Zen a decade ago or so, one of the things I learned was to value "not-knowing." In other words, embrace the position of being completely clueless. It opens you up to seeing things with fresh eyes, rather than already thinking you know what you're doing. Perfection is not only overrated, it's unattainable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That connects to something I read long ago to the effect that smart people know how much more there is to learn, while the less intelligent think they already know everything. Hmmmmm. Wonder who that could have applied to lately in the political world.

      Delete
  7. I always tell my students that there is beauty in imperfection.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sO2UMoOaFQ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.