Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Not Just for Kids


 

Thanks to a delightful day with our even more delightful 15 month old twin granddaughters, I’ve hit upon a no-fail formula for a successful bar. 


          On Sunday we zipped over to Providence for a day at the children’s museum. If you have toddlers (or up) in your life you know this is not a place filled with dusty artifacts or instructive plaques. Instead it’s hands-on. Everywhere. And if you don’t have a pre-schooler in your life, see if you can rent one. This is a fun place.

          We skipped the activities intended for those able to walk a straight line without falling down, but still had a fabulous time opening all the tiny doors to see what was behind them, arranging the magnetic shapes (a little damp after the girls of course put them immediately in their mouths), and building, then decimating block towers.    
     My favorite, though, was the water room. Tiny slickers hang in ascending sizes for participants. (I might put in a suggestion of ones for adults, too, since we got pretty damp once things got rocking.)


 Troughs and water tables were ranged about the room. You could drop balls into a whirling water spout, 


 
sift water with a variety of strainers, 






or just enjoy the phenomenon of a smoky cone. 

          I can just imagine the popularity of a pub where you can stand, beer in hand in front of a pool of water, fitting the different plastic pipes over the spigots to watch the different results. Although I suppose as the night wore on, the motor skills could be problematic.

9 comments:

  1. We have an interactive Science and Technology centre and it is a HEAP of fun. You can find it HERE . I haven't seen any water play though. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way children can learn science and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These science centers are sure a wonderful thing to have around. I think I would love to go there myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a very fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun. I'm pretty well into my second childhood. Perhaps I wouldn't need to rent a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be even more popular if beer flows OUT of those spigots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. water fascinated me as a kid, I suspect it does all children, and how clever of these people to acknowledge that. I agree with Patti, I think we'd have as much fun as the kids do...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.