Sunday, June 2, 2019

Claim to Fame


          Some people are born with perfect pitch.
Some, like the girl in my dorm at college, have eidetic memory - convenient for her since she could read an assignment once, and then devote quality time to her real passion, drinking.

          I have parking karma. Maybe it has something to do with inherent optimism. I believe a spot will open up for me. And, invariably, it does.

One Christmas My Guy and I dashed to the mall for a particular last minute gift. Since we only wanted the one thing, and it was a feeding frenzy in the parking lot, I opted to drop him off and wait.

           I decided to just sit to the side in the lot so I could more easily spot him when he emerged. I had to keep moving the car, because as soon as I settled in someone would appear from a store and wave me over to the spot they’d be leaving. 

          Over the years, I’ve snagged the first spot at museums, libraries, and conventions, and could probably get the best parking at a dog fight if I put my mind to it.

          Yesterday we had dinner with our daughter at a restaurant with a parking lot the size of a tea cozy. Cars were, as usual, parked up and down the street, while others cruised up and down looking for an opening.

          My Guy dropped us off, telling us he’d go see what he could find, but as soon as the words left his lips and my feet hit the ground, a couple left the restaurant and headed to their car. The only other car closer to the place had a handicapped placard hanging from the rear-view mirror.

          I might leave my reading glasses in the fridge from time to time, and yes, I actually did drive for two days last week with the dog’s travel water dish on the car roof, but when it comes to parking I’ve still got it.

13 comments:

  1. That is a rare and truly exceptional talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my husband's talent, finding that parking spot up close. we call it his luck though instead of karma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got pretty good parking karma too, but nothing like yours! I laughed about that dog's water dish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your super power! That's pretty funny about the dog dish. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And practical. I'd much rather have this ability than, say, being able to solve a Rubiks cube in two minutes.

      Delete
  5. So if I ever need to go anywhere I'll give you a call? Just kidding. I don't mind travelling by bus or train, because there's no need to worry about a parking space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out here in the rural 'burbs, public transportation is nothing but a fantasy.

      Delete
  6. It's a unique gift, for sure.

    Love that manhole cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny. You must drive carefully and not slam on brakes to keep that dish on the roof!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to take the credit, but I think it was wedged under the roof rack. My husband finally retrieved it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Anvilcloud, I wondered what that circle was. Does it work if you are in another's car? Maybe you could hire your gift out for a big event.
    Funny about the water dish. This week I left a quart of motor oil on my bumper. When I was at MacDonald's drive thru which was 10 miles from home, a friend pulled up behind me, got out and handed me the jug. Not sure I could have gone 2 days like you:))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.