Monday, November 5, 2018

Going Home


We’re home and still shaking off the effects of two delightful 12 hour days in the car, preceded by the treat of being on the road by 4:30 the first day and 3:30 the second. (Insert emoji of Edvard Munch’s The Scream here.)

Into the second hour, while rolling out of Selma, North Carolina before the truckers had even had a chance to climb into their cabs, I decided it was a shame life wasn’t like the game of Chutes and Ladders. For getting up that early we should have been able to advance at least ten spaces, hopping over the rest of the state and landing at the Virginia border.

Driving that early in the morning is creepy. There’s no need to adjust your rear-view mirror because there’s nothing there. Down there in the dark on Route 95 it’s just you and the trees, you and the trees. The only light you get is the occasional blinding oncoming car over across the wide, black median, from the driver who’s decided to leave his high beams on, to hell with the everyone else.

Into the second hour of my shift, alone on the highway at 80 miles an hour, suddenly a deer popped into view. In the middle of the road. Just standing there looking at me. She stood there and I zigged, and she and I were both able to continue our morning without incident. But for the rest of the hour my speedometer dipped down and my attention level ratcheted up - about 35 notches.

Still, one big benefit to going so early in the morning was that we arrived home when it was still light out. We unloaded the car and turned on the water heater, but we had one more hurdle to jump.

Mamie is an excellent, excellent traveler. She sleeps in her bed the whole way, getting up only when the car stops for everyone to have a bathroom break. It’s the arrival that she hasn’t quite mastered.

Just like when we pulled into the Florida condo in October, she didn’t want to leave the car. Both there and here, I got her into the house where she followed me around closer than that pull-toy beagle I’d had when I was three.

Then the minute I opened the house door, she was off to the car like a shot because that was what she’d known for the past two days, that was home.

          She’s fine, now, though, in case you’re worrying. Once we collapsed in front of the TV Sunday night for some quality couch time, she joined us as though we’d never left home. 



12 comments:

  1. I am glad that Mamie has settled. And very glad that you and the deer didn't have a closer encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Mamie has adjusted and that you arrived without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driving when all is so quiet does seem spooky. Glad you and the deer went on your ways unharmed. Mamie is a cute little character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking she is not a snowbird at heart. Glad you trip was safe. The life of a nomad can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long periods of driving can be exhausting! So glad nothing bad happened with the deer. I'm always on deer watch when we are driving at certain times. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. My in-laws dog doesn't like to leave the cottage, but she's not too bad about going, even if cars are not her favourite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's a cutie, all right. And I know just how she feels when one's goalposts are moved. And that deer and you both are going on with their lives, which is a great thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clipped a deer once in the wee hours in a van pulling a fully loaded 18 boat canoe trailer. scared the pants off me as I was sure I was going to hit it head on and kill the rest the guide staff sleeping in the van when the trailer jackknifed. it started across the road right in front of me and I was able to gently swerve just enough to only hit it's nose I guess as I did hear a thump.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Mamie. A creature of habit! I am SO GLAD that deer encounter didn't end badly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I drove all the way to Iowa city four times, years ago, once a year, and yeah, getting on the road before the big rigs do is a bonus. I'll say one thing, all that traffic keeps you alert, since most of the time you're looking at those immense tires as they thunder past, and thinking, "Which one is the alligator...".

    I love your dog. That picture makes me want to rush out and hug her, for sure. Oh, such a look. Then again, if I had that kind of bed to rest in, I'd have to be dragged out too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you for being a brave patient.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.