Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Update From Paradise


      Our time here is winding down. We’ll be heading back up north for the next couple of months. And why wouldn’t we?
This morning the temperature in Massachusetts was 37, whereas the temp here was 69. My biggest decision today has been whether or not to turn on the air conditioner.

          Aside from biking, eating, golfing, eating, viewing model homes we can’t afford, eating, and visiting friends, we found a few other things to do. 


          A tiki bar where the entertainer for the night played the “dueling banjoes” theme from Deliverance with his guitar – backwards. The guitar, not the theme. And it was surprisingly good.

          We could have gotten to the beach more often. This late afternoon trip, though, validated all my elementary school drawings using Vs to represent birds on the wing.


          Right now, downtown Venice looks a bit like Italy after WWII. The main road is gone, as are many of the palm trees.




 (Before)




 (After)




    This was due to a perfect storm of a 93 year-old street (poorly laid in the first place), aging pipes, and dying palm trees. Apparently even the soil was diseased so they had to carry it off and put in new.

          Maybe it was just nature’s gentle shove to get us back north,
but Mamie and I found this yesterday morning just outside our front door.
 Mamie the Great Hunter was completely uninterested, and after the first shiver of heebie jeebies I was fine. I’d rather have the occasional snake than mice or their bigger cousins.

10 comments:

  1. Snakes? I prefer the four legged beasties.
    Enjoy yourselves - where ever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 69? that's perfect weather, why would you want to go where it's so much colder? I suppose if you HAVE to, but I simply don't see why anyone would want to. i'm a wuss when it comes to temperature extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No mystery - it's called grandkids.
    3 big boys and twin baby granddaughters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy travels when you do hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree that 69 is pretty much perfect. We've got rain here all day, and I'm trying to talk myself into going on the hike anyway. It's in the low fifties, but the rain is expected to give us more than an inch. I'm going anyway, I suspect, since I'm such a creature of habit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, a visit to see the grandkids is understandable but I thought the Florida place was where you spend the whole winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll come back after the holidays. Nothing like a dose of winter to make you appreciate the warmth.

      Delete
  7. Busy Florida. I am amazed that any of the roads hold up. I love the weather but not the crowds. Glad that was not a poisonous snake. He probably was disturbed by all the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I had no idea they'd torn up Venice Avenue. Quite a dramatic change! I assume they're replanting it? Enjoy your travels up north and bravo for letting that snake go on its way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.