Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Devil's in the Details



 
Grace and Beauty by Mary Erickson
We’re definitely not buying any lottery tickets today.
Or perhaps even going outside again, based on this morning’s events.

          With the proceeds of our house sale, we had a heady few days of a big fat bank account. Today, though, we had to send that money on its way to the nice people holding a mortgage with our name on it.

          At a Florida branch of our bank we handed over IDs to begin the process and Ms. Banker looked over from her reverie with her computer to say, “Oh, you’re going to want to take care of this soon, aren’t you?”

          She was holding My Guy’s driver’s license. He’s going to be birthday boy on Saturday, and along with growing one year older, he’s also apparently going to be without a valid driver’s license. This would normally be a small only hitch in day to day life, except we’re going to be getting on a plane in about 10 days. Or maybe I’ll be getting on alone, since we now need the Massachusetts RMV – those friendly folks fabled for their customer service –  to get his new license to him before then.

          My own morning began more auspiciously. I had scheduled an interview with local (and Maine, and North Carolinian) artist Mary Erickson in order to write a short article about her for the organization where I volunteer.

Delightful woman. We chatted for an hour. I took a few notes, but that broke the conversational feel, so I was happy I’d had the foresight to record (with her permission) the interview. So relaxing. She could have gone on for another hour and I would have happily listened for another hour.

I said my thank yous and goodbyes and headed to my car.

I checked my phone for the recording.

Did you know you have to hit “Save” in order for it to be – well- - saved?

9 comments:

  1. Ghaaa! You mean... the recording is gone? Oh my. Yes, this is not the time to buy a lottery ticket. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I suppose it could be worse. I hope you have a good memory and that the license shows up on time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I immediately whipped out my notebook and began writing down notes.
      Once home, I tried to get a bit more down on my computer.
      I haven't started the article yet -- I think I'm afraid to.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, you may have to call her back and explain the situation then get a new recording. Is that possible?
    Hope you get the new licence in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! As a former reporter, I can empathize. I once recorded an interview in a restaurant only to find that all I could hear on the tape were crashing dishes and busboys and the hum of background conversations. Fortunately, I took notes, too. Hopefully you have enough notes to do the trick! (At least you enjoyed talking to your subject and won't have to endure a DEADLY BORING re-interview, should it come to that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have some notes and her website is chock full of information.
      I'll give it my best shot - but, I am a volunteer and you get what you pay for??

      Delete
  5. well, that sucks. who'da thought?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! Painful.
    Not the best effort of your life, or even a very good day all-round.
    Things can only get better now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.