Tuesday, March 6, 2018

No Room on the Range



My morning was coasting along nicely yesterday.
While I was chopping the pecans for a batch of granola my phone rang. It said “No Caller ID.” I hesitated, but answered it, an involuntary response to pre-answering machine days when if the phone rang you answered it. Always.

          A man began with, “Who’s this? - one of my favorite things to hear when I pick up the phone.

          I replied that he must have miss-dialed.

          In full-throttle rage he said, “You f*#@ing b&^%$, you called me and -”

          I hung up.

          I turned off my phone and finished making my granola.

          In the afternoon I took tiny dog for a haircut; I had an hour and a half of desperately needed practice at a driving range while she was getting beautiful. Last week when I played golf I was an embarrassment to myself, Scotland, and the entire sport.

          I drove across town to the range with a token ready in my pocket. The entire row was full except for one spot. A man parked just after I did. I knew I could get there before him. I grabbed three clubs and took off for the ball dispenser. The machine did a Ptui! with my token. I’d fed it a quarter and the actual token was still in the car. I gave up and left.

 ½ hour of my hour and a half gone.  

          I drove to another range. Full. 15 minutes gone. 45 minutes left.

          I went to the home supply store to get some keys copied. I tracked down a human, got him in front of the machine, and . . . the key I needed was at home.

 Time to pick up tiny dog.

          An hour and a half accomplishing no more than driving from one place to another.

          At least Mamie was a vision of fluff and cleanliness when I picked her up.


       



   I definitely earned my G&T in front of the sunset that evening.


10 comments:

  1. Don'tcha just hate it when the universe sucks up your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Mama said there'd be days like this...but that sunset makes it worthwhile, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, some days are like that. But yeah, that final picture was salve for that wound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That phone call was pretty funny, and you had quite the day or at least that potion of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like there was no room anywhere. It was just a rotten day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. I hope your G&T was heavy on the G. And love that sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. an hour and a half driving from one semi disaster to another definitely deserves a G&T or something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like one of those days when you should have just stayed in bed. I never answer calls that aren't in my contact list. if it's something important they can just leave a message and I'll call back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I learned my lesson this time and will just let it ring!

      Delete
  9. Days like this drive me crazy and I think we all have them. Picking up Mamie probably made up for the wasted hour and a half. Bet she smelled good and looked pretty, and was happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.