Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Wrapping it all up




     We’ve pretty much cleared the house of all that excess food and now I’m wondering if W would notice if I start spiriting Christmas decorations one by one back to the basement.
       He truly enjoys all the accoutrements of the holiday, while as soon as the last gift is ripped open, I’m ready to get out the big plastic bins and start packing up. For me, December 15th’s festive is December 26th’s clutter. 


   

In an earlier life I must have once padded around in austere Japanese rooms,
 

while his previous home was obviously Victorian, bursting with knick knacks and patterns and fringe. This isn’t news, however; I’ve written about this before.Keepers versus Throwers


          Our holiday included the challenge of divining the rules of the game of Risk with the 13 year old (still without complete success), fixing a jammed Nerf crossbow for the 11 year-old, and much coloring with the 6 year-old in his new dragon-filled coloring book. (I’d forgotten how soothing coloring can be, especially if, like me, you have no artistic ability whatsoever. This explains the wild popularity this year of adult coloring books.)


          Our family’s 2015 has included an engagement, followed by a bride, a bar mitzvah, and a baby. 2016 should be just as exciting, extending our footprint all the way to Florida,followed by a trip down the Danube, and a long-anticipated wedding. Hard to say what I’m looking forward to the most.
         

11 comments:

  1. On boxing day I put everything away but the tree. It will stay up for a day or two more as we have finally got some snow and now I'm in the mood for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of how I really get good at summer about the time it's over.

      Delete
  2. I'm just chilling during the last week though the grandgirls will be here Thursday thru Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on clearing the clutter and getting on with it. My brother in law, however, sees Christmas as the only time he can give full exercise to his hoarding out in a public place. He put my youngest in charge of tree decorating this year, and she produced a beautiful, simple tree. His bitter remarks to me on how bad the tree looked got no response. Then I noticed he would come into the living room with pockets of ornaments from the ornament stash and sneak them onto the tree. By Christmas he had the tree he wanted. I doubt he will ask Laura another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guerrilla decorating! Obviously not an advocate of "less is more."

      Delete
  4. There are still cards up here. They too will be put away shortly.
    Another v big year ahead for you. I hope it is as wonderful as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm feeling the urge to pack up my Christmas decorations too. All three of them (*~*), very low-key decorating here this year.
    your 2016 sounds like it will be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at the two different living rooms. I tend to accumulate and hubby tends to toss. It's in our genes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my decorations (so very few) are now packed away. Did that yesterday. Just have to take the lights off the deck. Maybe next year I will buy some decent Christmas lights as that is all that I really enjoy. I am a Victorian in the winter and an Asian in the summer. A bit of a schizophrenic on the decor, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on the Christmas decorations! We don't even decorate, generally. I always say I was Japanese in another life. (I actually practiced Zen for several years!) I can't wait to hear more about your Florida adventures -- I lived in Venice for years and worked for the newspaper there, so I know the area well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New year old bean , hoping 2016 will be a cracker xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.