Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Lost Skills

 


          Okay, so soon no one will be able to read the Constitution – or for that matter, sign their name – since cursive is no longer being taught.


          And I wonder if in a few years anyone will be able to compose a simple paragraph without help, now with all those bots eager to pitch in.


          Maybe it doesn’t matter that the ability to read a sewing pattern and create something to wear is dying.

          Or that more and more people have palace-like kitchens, all quartz and stainless steel, with counters long enough to set up pins and bowl a frame on, and yet Door Dash is their basic source of sustenance.

         

          And to be fair, I have no idea how to hitch up oxen to a yoke or churn butter.


          But I can’t seem to shake the realization that so many kids today can’t read a standard clock with a face and hands.

          Sitting cross-legged in yoga class, exercising my neck joints, I thought, “In a few years, how would an instructor describe the path for turning a head without using the phrase, ‘counter-clockwise’?”

          Could this be a problem for square dancers?

          Will people be able to tell someone which way to spin a screw? a jar lid? a wrench?

          And imagine - when that generation finally ages, physicians in geriatrics will have to come up with some other common thing for their patients to draw other than a clock face.

2 comments:

  1. Serious questions for our times! But for screws and such, there's always "lefty loosey, righty tighty." Phew! One disaster averted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.