Thursday, July 25, 2024

Communication after 54 years


There is a place in the next town called Girlee’s.

It’s pretty much a plain square box of a place, possibly cinder block based, and looks as though it would be well-known to truckers. It has a reputation, though, as a good spot for breakfast.

          I have to admit to being a comfy-booth-omelet-ordering sort of breakfaster, and I have a suspicion this place will turn out to be a stool-at-the-bar-hashbrown kind of place, but My Guy has mentioned going there more than once, so I decided what the heck, why not.

          The only thing is, last night when we talked about it, the conversation went thusly:

          He: “So do you want to go out for breakfast tomorrow?”

          Me:“Well, I have to pick up friends at 12:15, so what time would we leave?”

          (Knowing that My Guy typically doesn’t have all wheels on the ground before 9:30 or 10:00)

          He: “We could leave at 8:30.” (This was true heroism on his part.)

 

          Except I really didn’t want to rush, we were busy on Friday, and we had absolutely nothing going on Saturday, and I pointed this out, thinking now we were organized. We could enjoy a leisurely breakfast, meander on our way home, and no one would have to leap out of bed or rush back.

         

          We went to bed, and I woke up this morning with plans of doubling my morning walk today, then popping out for chicken and corn for tonight’s dinner before I leave at noon.

          At 7:30, someone’s (other than me) phone alarm went off.

          “Why did you set your alarm?”

          “Aren’t we going out for breakfast?”    

         

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes. This is a conversational ambiguity I recognize well, when one party makes a suggestion and believes the other party has accepted it, and the other party doesn't make that same leap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All too familiar. Mind you, himself doesn't set his alarm, relying on me to wake him. And preferably NOT to wake him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. We've been there. Kind of happened today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.