Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Sunshine and Slapstick

 



I woke up to fresh air today, the first night sleeping with the window open – it’s supposed to reach 90 degrees this afternoon. I’m off to buy geraniums and more this afternoon.










That upper platform eventually crashes down with actors on it
     


     This past weekend I gathered up my play-going friend Polly and off we went to
another production. Our venue is a small theater in a town across the river, where they produce plays in the fall through spring and then switch to music (Doo-Wop, Patsy Cline, Elvis, Jackson Browne tributes) and children’s theater for the summer months.

       

   Since I disappear for part of the year, we miss a few in the winter but this was worth the wait.

It truly was laugh-out-loud, the funniest play I’ve ever seen, and the company did a brilliant performance of somewhat amateur actors who haplessly soldier on despite one theatrical disaster after another, while employing every murder cliché in the book. As the playbill says:

“It’s opening night of the Comley University Drama Society’s newest production, the Murder at Haversham Manor. An exasperated detective, a corpse who can’t play dead, a chronically unconscious leading lady, and over-acted stock characters who struggle with props that won’t stay put, forgotten lines, and unreliable scenery.”

If ever you have an opportunity to see a production – go!

5 comments:

  1. That does sound like a heap of fun. And that kind of laughter is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this is a funny play, but I haven't seen it yet! I think it's still playing in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I'm having trouble leaving comments. Hope this works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.