Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Bed Making

 

Once you’re retired, it can be tricky holding on to what day of the week it is.

Sticking to my working-life schedule of sheet changing on Sunday helps. I did double duty last week after we’d had company, and remaking that bed with the old bedspread we’d inherited from My Guy’s grandmother triggered a thought.


          Called a “Martha Washington,” this must have been a popular design – I remember my grandmother had one also – and it’s generously proportioned, with plenty of fabric to cover the end of the bed plus the top, the way I used to assume all bedspreads are cut. Growing up, I was taught to turn back the top portion, put the pillows neatly on top, and then fold it back over them, tucking the excess under the pillows.

          But to my knowledge, today’s bedspreads have no such excess yardage for tucking. It's likely just another way to chintz the customer out of fabric, or maybe it’s because the world’s gone to duvets topped by piles of decorative pillows so that you spend a hefty lump of time yanking them all off before you can finally fall into bed.

          This assumes people even make their bed up each morning. I’m a Virgo and can’t function in a room with an unmade bed.

          And here’s another thing I was taught. Around here, each change of sheets is automatically mitered. If teaching hadn’t panned out I’d probably have done well in the hotel trade.

8 comments:

  1. Mitering the sheets is beyond me. To get the yardage you want put queen sized on a regular bed. However that creates other messes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - like fitted sheets that would then be too big.

      Delete
  2. I have never been particularly good at sheet corners, but I DO make the bed -- unlike many people I know. (Dave would never make a bed if it were up to him.) I hate this trend of piles of unnecessary pillows. Our bedspread can't be folded over the pillows, but I just make the bed with the spread flat and then put the pillows on top of it -- no shams or anything, just the pillowcases. It looks fine. Or fine enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And actually, it's not as though we have troups of people marching through our bedrooms to pass judgement on our bedmaking skills or lack thereof. Or at least most of us don't.

      Delete
  3. Saturday is sheet changing day here - as it was when I was still in paid employment. Mitred sheets? Not a happening thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half the time I don't even realize I'm mitering them till it's done.

      Delete
  4. That is exactly how I was taught to make a bed. Mom made quilts, and they went over the pillow with the tuck. My sister still makes quilts that way. Your bedspread is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always mitred my sheets, I remember the class being taught how in home economics and me saying "I've been doing that for years", I think I just copied my mum. I make my bed every morning unless the cat is asleep in there under the covers with one of her migraines.
    I keep track of the days by marking off each date on the calender nightly when the TV news begins.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.