Monday, May 15, 2023

Timely Issues


I realized at my exercise class this morning that the past few days have been about avoidance. I’d been away from this class for too long, and was assessing which body parts were still willing to operate and which were now circling the drain, a too-familiar checklist at my age.

          While the gym was all about postponing the inevitable, this weekend we avoided the nuttiness and blocked streets of a massive town event by hightailing it to Rhode Island to see the twin grandgirls. 


      The event was a reenactment of a 1908 motorized hill climb up our small mountain, an unofficial proving ground in the early days of automobile manufacturing.  FYI, our neighboring city of Springfield was home to the first gas-powered car, the Duryea Motor Wagon in 1893 or so, and from 1921 to the Depression in 1931, the Rolls Royce Silver Phantom was produced there.

          We’d missed the girls’ actual birthdate and so arrived bearing gifts and cupcakes. It’s always hard to know what to buy; toys always reach a stage of critical mass, spilling into all available living space, as anyone who’s stepped barefoot on a Lego in the middle of the night can attest.

          After a five-day TV-free visit to us, I knew imagination was alive and well in their world, so we brought a wardrobe to go with it – outfits for the well-dressed doctor, police officer, chef, explorer, gardener, and firefighter.


 


 

 

 

          On Sunday, I enjoyed Mothers Day (Mother’s ?  Mothers’ ?) at home. I made myself a fattening coffee cake for breakfast, opened gifts, gave myself the gift of a vacuumed house, and sent My Guy out for Chinese, again avoiding the restaurant mob scene of brunches, lunches, and dinner.

 

10 comments:

  1. How did I get so behind? I thought you were still in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder you're confused. I haven't blogged in two weeks! Hoping I'll get my procrastination under control now.

      Delete
    2. Oh, well, I'm glad it's you and not me. :)

      Delete
  2. Lego underfoot is incredibly painful isn't it? Guaranteed to wake you up completely on those late night wanders through the house.
    Your weekend sounds (and looks) excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, to bring those hats and I'll bet they imagined some great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a twice a week exercise instructor who frequently introduces more difficult ways of doing the same old movements. I feel sorry for new people joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful my instructor hasn't changed the movements. Whenever I've tried Zumba, I've felt like the Rockette who didn't get the memo.

      Delete
  5. Dress up costumes! I shall file that idea away for when my twin grands are older. Your girls are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember the fun my sister and I had with our dress-up box, which was actually just odds and ends of old clothes.

      Delete
  6. I agree. One simply does not go out to a restaurant on Mothers day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.