Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Second Look

 


So, the twins took time off from the Rhode Island beaches and came with their parents to Grandma and Grandpa’s for an afternoon. 

While the adults relaxed in the living room, the girls and I settled upstairs on the couch for some cozy book reading.


          I was delighted when one of their choices was Madeline, an absolute favorite of mine, such a favorite I can pretty much quote it to you.

          We snuggled in, a cuddly four-year-old on either side of me, and off we went to an “old house in Paris that was covered in vines. . .”  Everything was going fine until Miss Clavell realized, “something is not right!”

          Oh my. 

          Before I knew it, I was foundering in explanations about
appendicitis, operations, hospitals, and scars. I guess I'd forgotten the main premise of the story.

      Very heavy going for four years of age, not to mention grandmas.

12 comments:

  1. How sweet! I'm sure they learned a lot from you. Cute bunny ears on that last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are companions to the book How Much Do I Love You.

      Delete
  2. I missed this book(s) entirely. Hope I'm not too old to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading to my twin grands as they grow. I'd love to read Madeline to them, but am unable to find any of the books. Who is the author and can you list a couple of titles for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ludwig Bemelmens is the author. He wrote Madeline in 1939, so it's been around a while.

      Delete
  4. I vaguely remember Madeleine and her appendix drama. Have you heard anything about your place in Venice during Ian? Apparently the Venice Little Theater has suffered pretty extensive damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our complex mostly had trees and limbs damaged. Our pool has apparently acquired a floating tree. We were lucky - I think. I'll find out for sure in January. Yes, the Venice Theater is sad. I hope they can rebuild. Did you know it's like the 2nd largest community theater in the country?

      Delete
  5. It’s a great phase when grandparents can read to their grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun reading stories you remember reading to your own children. Or even hearing as a child yourself.

      Delete
  6. My granddaughter (18 months) is falling in love with books. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I taught her basic sign language too and it's so much fun to communicate with her that way. I'm so grateful to be a grandpops.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.