Monday, May 16, 2022

Septuagenarian Rebel

I’d been warned about her before, but had managed to dodge her.

Today I arrived in exercise class expecting to see our usual instructor Vickie, but instead an unfamiliar woman was standing in the gym, calling out instructions no one could hear over the bustle of arrivals and ongoing chatter. Not a good sign. Any teacher worth their salt knows to wait till the group settles down.

          Soon she started up a recording of Zumba moves and we were off. I gave it my best shot, but she became increasingly difficult to follow – quick moves that came and went with no apparent sequence – and the movements had little to do with the needs of senior citizens and were more about something you’d find on a dance floor.

          After 10 minutes of this nonsense, I picked up my belongings and left. I’ve done this before, and I’ll do it again. At this point in life I’m done being a good sport for no purpose.

 

14 comments:

  1. It sounds hazardous as well as chaotic. Maybe if enough people leave, another instructor will get the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, she was just substituting for the regular instructor. I hope.

      Delete
  2. Emily came home after a Zumba class, showed me the moves, she said that the class if full of new moms and elderly women. I said "No Way"!!! NOPE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to take a Zumba class if I could find one that's taught well. My knees wouldn't have made it through this one.

      Delete
  3. Well done you. I wonder whether I would have been so sensible (assuming I was there in the first place).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your regular is back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our leader had a replacement that we vowed we would not return to. (How badly did I just write that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a retired English teacher, I can't tell you how it warms my heart to have someone worried about their syntax.

      Delete
  6. How satisfying to walk out. Visibly, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta say, it felt very liberating. I don't usually do things like that.

      Delete
  7. I hope Vickie is back the next time you go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're getting nothing out of it, who can blame you for leaving? Hopefully the instructor noticed and will make adjustments accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that "being a good sport for no purpose.' Never thought of it that way, but you are correct in that we owe ourselves something in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on ya! That was inappropriate content for your group of exercisers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.