Monday, June 14, 2021

Graduation to Goats


     Mid-week we were able to view the high school graduation of Grandson #1 online, and now we’re in a lull this afternoon while Daughter, up from New Jersey, ushers Grandson #2 around the sprawling U.Mass campus. They might as well have set off to tour the entire state of Wyoming; both are about the same size. A rising senior in high school, he’s interested in sports management, and apparently U.of M. has a good program. Not bad for what began as an agricultural college years ago. They have many more schools to look at before any decisions are made, but it would be kind of neat if he went there since long ago my father taught Poly Sci there for a couple of years – sandwiched between grad school at Princeton and his recruitment into the CIA.

 I remember none of our time in Amherst, having been barely one when we moved there. There’s no shortage of connections to the school: my sister went there and our son, daddy of these girls, graduated from there, also. I’d always thought how funny life was, that I married a Massachusetts boy and ended up living here, but it would really be full-circle to have yet another generation at school here.


And in the spirit of full-circle, we met up with the twin Grandgirls Sunday afternoon at a farm and ice cream venue, and our little three-year-olds got reacquainted with their pre-college cousin and a few other locals
.

 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the graduates. I love the farm pictures, too. Sweet little grandgirls. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a WONDERFUL few days. Here's to many more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grandgirls are three already??
    I hope the grandson finds the perfect school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible, I agree. As impossible as the first grandchild going of to college in the fall.

      Delete
  4. "Sports management" -- I'm pretty sure that didn't exist as a major when I was in college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things change. My daughter was reading me the list of English programs at Northeastern, where she had gone, and it sounded as though it was impossible to get just a straight English degree. One example, English and Philosophy. Now there would be a money-maker!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.