Saturday, January 2, 2021

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate

     Happy New Year! How nice to have a shiny new year laid out before us, but so far it looks too much like the last year.

    Vaccine or no vaccine, there are still several Covid months ahead. Yes, I’m in Florida, where the governor has pushed those over 65 (as opposed to the CDC's recommendation of 75 as a cut off) ahead of the line – ahead of those working on the front line – but I have no plans to get my shot before spring. This might be a political gesture, or disinterest in waiting for hours in a herd of people, but another factor is my own lack of urgency.

          In spite of several brushes with cancer, My Guy and I really have no heavy underlying health issues. No respiratory issues, no compromised immune systems. If we continue with the caution we’ve used this past year, I’ll feel reasonably safe. I also don’t like the imagery that plays in my head of people elbowing each other out of the way to make sure they’re served first.

          Having said that, of course, there are now reports that the mutant strain of coronavirus found in Britain has now surfaced in Florida.

 

11 comments:

  1. We have been told that none of us will get the vaccine before March next year, and no details about 'order' have been released. We do both have compromised immune systems but can (with care) minimise our risk. The same cannot be said for the front line workers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard our mutant strain has turned up there! I suspect it's all over the place, actually. But it doesn't make anyone any sicker than the original variety, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did know the risk is judged about the same. It's still creepy.

      Delete
    2. It's real danger is it apparently at least 50% more contagious. It will increase the number of cases, ergo the number of deaths.

      Delete
  3. amazingly, the health care system I am in sent out an email to established patients over 65 with links to the various places giving the vaccine to make an appointment online. took 3 or 4 tries but I have an appointment on the 16th for the first shot. it has nothing to do with our state as our governor is a Trump toadie and everything to do with the Memorial Healthcare system. most all other Texans are getting no information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our governor shares the same trait with yours, although his decisions lately probably have more to do with keeping voters happy.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that. This could get ugly. If the front line workers aren't vaccinated, no one is safe. Arkansas so far is following the CDC guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll wait too. I have a severe Formaldehyde allergy and can't find out if it was used in making or preserving any of the vaccines. We live in CO where the mutant stain was first found in the US. We're continuing to isolate. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that variant is probably everywhere in our country right now. I really hope those Florida health care workers get their share of the vaccine, and pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mutant strain is popping up everywhere now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone seems to be masked, but somehow, mass vaccinations are jarring to me in this pandemic. The logistics are hard though. I don't know how it will play out here. It is certainly not the season to line up outside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.