Friday, November 27, 2020

Eyes From Above



         
I admit I may have scoffed a bit when My Guy installed the Nest camera in the garage window. At the time it seemed like one more tech goodie, to go along with the audio-controlled light bulbs and wall switches. Personally, in these days of shifting memory, I prefer to flick a physical switch rather than try to remember the name of each device so I can call it up.

          Today, however, he was validated. At 8:00 am today I heard something outside, but there are no windows on the driveway side of our condo. Still in bed, I called up the app on my phone and low and behold: the gutter guys were here.


          One of the things we like about our place is the transom windows, which sit above our regular windows - the ones with shades. Today, not so much. I sprang from bed and whipped the curtains across the bedroom windows; good thing I had bought them specifically to cover that extra stretch of glass or else we’d have been waving to our visitors from our pillows.

          Gutter cleaning at our former house was an Olympic event, with ladders, battles with the shrubbery, and goop from above that never landed where we'd intended.

So, it’s truly magical that someone else is now fighting the good fight with damp leaves and pine needles, but it does limit some of our activities for a bit.

 

10 comments:

  1. Cleaning the gutters is a dreadful job. How nice to have someone do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool, seeing what's going on outside while still in bed. And cleaning gutters is an awful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son in law does it for his mother. It involves walking on the roof, which Ruth is spunky enough to undertake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for gutter maintenance done by someone who isn't you. Our gutters here are in a shocking state, some have weeds almost two feet tall sprouting from them. For a couple of years we had maintenance people clearing them, but nothing for about three years now. Perhaps it's time I sent in a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's here it for handy home-security cams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are really getting into the tech way of living.

    ReplyDelete
  7. after years of cleaning gutters, I finally had gutter screen installed. leaves still pile up on top but not in and a broom or a hoe takes care of the leaves, no ladder needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little warning can be a very good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am almost ready for a smaller life footprint, but hubby would never go along. Neat camera and wondering what else you might be seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's especially satisfying after 40+ years of doing our own shoveling is staying in bed and watching someone ELSE plowing the driveway.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.