Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Long Goodbye


Like something out of Game of Thrones, the chilly North is closing in on us. So we’ve been behaving like people who believe (to take liberties with the quote from Auntie Mame), “Life is a banquet beach and most poor suckers are starving freezing to death!”




          We’re going home in a matter of days and we’re soaking up as much Florida as we can - breakfast on the beach, chalk festival in Sarasota.


    


      This past Saturday we took in a fabulous, fabulous performance by Alan Cummings, followed by a game on Sunday in Sarasota between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Boston Red Sox.

          Who knew Alan Cummings had such a great voice? The show was just him, backed by piano, trumpet, drums, guitar, and cello. In between songs he told jokes, dropped names, bemoaned growing older, and shared Hollywood gossip. As I said, Fabulous.








          The game was good, too. Of course I rate a professional baseball on a different scale than some. Sure, I want my team (Go Sox!) to win, but first it’s more about :


Is my seat comfortable?                     (Surprisingly roomy)
Any loud beer waving people nearby?     (Much of our section                                                                     was empty)
Sun in my face?                                    (Domed stadium. Genius!!)
And, oh yeah, can I see the field?         (Good seats. Right by third)

8 comments:

  1. How I would love to see that Chalk Festival. Do you have any more photos of it? (She says greedily hinting).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only. We were there on the first day of three and they had only just begun.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what to say. It's not really all that warm up here. On the other hand, I bet your condo has a furnace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got confused for a minute and thought you were heading North to winter, but it will soon be summer there for you. I like chalk pavement art too, some of it is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a chalk festival here, too, and I loved it. A wonderful day indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm glad you're getting out and about and enjoying Florida while you still can (and while it's still bearable). I had no idea Alan C had a one-man show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also has a new nightclub in NYC, Club Cummings I think, which he plugged a few times. One of his tales was about the night Emma Watson showed up there with Sir Paul McCartney, who didn't sing but accompanied her and Alan on the harmonica.

      Delete
  6. Did not know he could sing. Really liked him on the Good Wife. Enjoy that last of the Florida sun but it should be warming up back home also and no one likes a Florida summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.