Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Getting the Bends



After a much, much, too long hiatus from anything involving much exercise – due to cold weather, plantar fasciitis, and just plain sloth – I hauled myself to the YMCA.
I must not have been alone in my guilt because when I arrived 15 minutes before the yoga class, there was a herd of at least 30 people in line ahead of me.

          I usually go to the intermediate class, but the beginners one fit better into that day’s schedule. And it was a beginners class indeed. In an hour and 15 minutes we only made it through about 5 positions since the instructor was a talker. Most other yoga classes I’ve been in are so quiet they’re almost like meditation – well, meditation with pain. Her endless stream of chatter encouraged others, so there were remarks all through the session, something unheard of in more serious classes.

          But I did like one observation. She pointed out that our minds lie to us all the time, but our bodies are a reliable source of information. So yes, I should ignore my mind telling me that I need that square of dark chocolate, but if my knee says it doesn’t want to bend that far, I should listen.

          I congratulated myself that at least I had left the couch long enough to loosen up a bit and re-start my sputtering exercise habit.

          Oh, and the one thing I’m always unconsciously waiting for in yoga class finally happened: during a rare moment of silence, someone two rows back broke wind.

7 comments:

  1. My body, like my mind, is a fibber. Slightly more reliable than the grey matter though.
    Of course the fart was in a rare moment of silence. I think it is a rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That wind thing happens occasionally, but mostly our classes are much quieter, with only the teacher talking, and not that much. I don't know that I'd be very happy with your beginner class. But still, I enjoyed hearing about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of my granddaughter described her agony in a recent lock down drill. She had to fart and couldn't. When we had fire drill in school, we could fart. During air raid drill, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a firm believer in listening to my body too, but my cardiologist says I must walk, so off I go, daily around the block, with my feet protesting all the way. I'll make an appointment with a podiatrist soon and maybe my feet will stop complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should get out one of the many yoga DVDs I have and start this again. MY weights and elliptical are too sporadic even though they help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go to yoga class twice a week and on the other days try to remember to do my little 15 minute routine between coffee and breakfast. my class is basically intermediate with some advanced though when we have a beginner, she will tone it down so as not to scare them away. Our class is small and mostly quiet but we've been known to crack a joke or two. someone occasionally farts unintentionally, even me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better to let it out than hold it in:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.