Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Step Forward



One thing I can say about aging. I’ve definitely become more stable. At least in the category of high winds.

          My mother, at 5’4” or so, had lovely average 7 ½ feet that matched her size.

          My father’s feet also matched his height of 6’3” and we knew our cats appreciated this, since we often found one sleeping in one of his loafers.

          I’m a couple inches taller than Mama and inherited her love of cooking and hazel green eyes, but from the ankle down I’m Daddy. Not quite Emmett Kelly material, but I’ve always had biggish feet.

          I remember my angst for an entire year in high school when my stepmother bought me Italian loafers instead of the peer-pressure mandatory Bass Weejun penny loafers. Do you have any idea how l-o-n-g Italian loafers make you feet look?

          After a couple of decades upright and two kids, my feet reached what I thought would be their final destination near the end of the ladies’ shoe sizes.

Beyond this point half sizes for women don’t exist in conventional stores, inconvenient since that’s the size I really should be wearing.

          I suppose I shouldn’t complain too loudly since when I shop with my golfing friend she has no better luck than I do. We’re at polar opposites of the shoe section. She wears a 4 ½ and usually has to go to the kids’ department.

          Two weeks ago I came back from a round of golf with aching feet and swore, No More!

          At a local department store (after being so desperate that I even checked out the men’s section of sneakers) I caved and bought the very highest size to be found in women’s shoes without a specialty store.

          The next game of golf was bliss. I also played really well (for me) and I had first attributed my success to lessons the week before, but now I wonder if it was my shoes, not my swing, that needed fixing.

10 comments:

  1. I hated having bigger feet than my friends in elementary school. Their shoes always looked "cuter". Then I went to highschool with a bunch of girls of Dutch ancestry and their size 9's matched mine. I no longer cared after that! Now I'm a 9 or 9 1/2 depending on the shoe or boot. Sometimes even a 10. Comfort wins out every time. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told the youngest child has the biggest feet. Are you bringing up the end? My sister, youngest of four, has the biggest feet, and two brothers between us. My youngest daughter had the biggest feet. I wonder if there is a scientific study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Younger sister here. And my son is doubly burdened by being both the younger of my two kids plus being 6'5"

      Delete
    2. My youngest has the smallest feet, not counting mine, and his sister above has the biggest feet.

      Delete
  3. my feet are average but I've gained a size during adulthood. went from a 7 to an 8 but before you tell me how lucky I am for being average, let me just say 7 - 8 sizes sell out immediately. I don't have any better luck finding shoes I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at your picture. My sister had bigger feet than everybody growing up and was very sensitive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoes that fit and feel good on your feet are hard to come by...I like crocs and would wear them year round...and do some days with socks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the shoes that needed fixing. It's amazing how much better everything goes when your feet are comfortable. I have awkward sized feet myself, they're short in length and extra wide in width.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My feet are getting more grotesque as I age, and I'm having a harder time getting a good (comfortable) fit. I do a lot of walking/hiking, and if my feet hurt, I'm miserable. Good for you finding the perfect pair of shoes to improve your golf game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just sneakers, but they're magic sneakers because they don't hurt!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.