Friday, January 20, 2017

Walking, Talking and Art



Some people use their blogs as daily diaries, and so I thought I’d give that a try and cover today’s events, not that anything of any great import occurred. 


          First was a stroll around the complex with Mamie in the early-morning air, so cool that my outfit consisted of shorts and a fleece jacket. Mamie went to the groomer’s yesterday for what I thought would be a trim and turned out to be a shave. Apparently, I haven’t been pulling my weight with tangles and knots, so the groomer felt it necessary to buzz cut past them - as a result I came home with half of my dog still on the floor.


          We walked around while Mamie waited for peeing/pooping inspiration to hit. There’s a path that circles our complex but I don’t often take it. There’s a preserve of some kind behind us and I’m not convinced that a wild boar or something equally unfriendly might come lurching out of that impenetrable foliage.


          Then I had a golf date with a brand-new acquaintance from here at the complex. The wait at the course was so long that instead we ended up at the driving range and then went for lunch. I came home feeling as though I’d spent the past three hours in a wind tunnel. 
B. is a pleasant lady but she’s one of those people who never stops talking. Ever. Once in a while I sandwiched in a word or two, but wow.

          In the evening My Guy and I went to a showing at the Art Center here in town. It was packed, not surprising since the classes there are very well attended and many of the attendees had their work on display. A piano tinkled, people passed hors d'oeuvres and my husband obsessed over his plastic glass of cabernet and the high probability that he’d get bumped and spill it. So of course what really happened was that he ending up bumping me and knocking my wine out of my hand and onto the floor and all over my feet. Validation for my decision years ago to switch to white.

          As I stood with a soggy foot looking across at a grouping of paintings, a small woman of about 75 with improbably red hair asked me what I thought of the one in the corner, a painting of two women. It didn’t do much for me, but something made me say, “I like it – it reminds me of someone.” She said she was the artist and happily began telling me that she was trying to model some of Klimt’s techniques. Her husband, a tiny man about 5’3”, added that she had another painting around the corner, one of a sunset. I thanked him and went to check it out. It was actually quite good, and before I left I tracked her down to tell her that I liked it even better than the first, to which she said she did, too.

          We then went to try a nearby restaurant at a marina, and sailed in without a wait, in spite of the fact that this is the height of the season. We were rewarded doubly by arriving unfashionably early - just in time for this sunset.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like a mostly lovely day. Sigh on the wine front though. And on the woman whose tongue was hinged in the middle and wagged at both ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a talker! People like that give me a headache, because I concentrate so much trying to hear something I can add to or answer, but can never get a word in. I'm not much of a talker anyway.
    Mamie looks quite nice in her summer coat. I had Angel shave recently from underarms to under tail. He wasn't at all happy about it, but allowed me to manouver him into various positions for the vet, who was quite surprised and said usually cats need to be sedated for shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mamie doesn't seem very happy with her haircut. I also have a hard time with talkers like that woman. Sorry your hubby decided to give you a bath with your wine. Nice post, I enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. non stop talkers. better than the ones that interrupt you all the time I guess like the guy that works at the antique store that I was trying to tell something to and he kept interrupting me after like my third word until I finally practically shouted at him 'do you not hear me talking?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after a while you realize that an actual exchange of conversation is never going to happen.
      Since we're semi-scheduled for golf next week, I hope this first chattiness was just nerves.

      Delete
  5. Mamie obviously has her own opinion but I think the cut is adorable and she should keep the look. Got to be easier to care for.
    I use to walk with a talker like that. We always knew if Betsy got the floor, that was it for the rest of us. She never took a breath. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might be a talker at times. A loud one for people have learned to say shhhh if the volume goes up. Other times I'm as quiet as a mouse. No idea how I got that way. I do think the sunset is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem to run to extremes myself if I'm with new people - either very quiet or so chatty I have to catch myself.

      Delete
  7. Your posts are always interesting. Mamie looks so cute, and that face is adorable. Glad you thought quick and said you liked the picture and, "it reminds me of someone". I use that one a lot. My neighbor draws faces. She stops by and toots the horn to show them to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.