Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Winter Captive





I did make it out to meet up with a friend today, but winter is here in earnest and my house is seductive. 




     Life closes in with winter. I know I’m not alone. A very sociable friend of mine, after I’d extracted her from her house for lunch, turned to me and confessed that she thought she might be developing traces of agoraphobia. She confessed she was perfectly happy at home, shuffling around in comfy fleece, and felt no great desire to get out. 


          I found it hard to argue. Right now we have 35 mile an hour winds, and the temperature refuses to rise above 24 degrees. The weather isn’t even trying to lure us out with deceitful rays of sunshine; it’s been gray for two days. The fact that I’ve had a cold just plays right into this.


 Lately, nirvana for me is a morning on the computer (blog, email, and the ever present Spider Solitaire), lunch in my recliner with the morning paper, the afternoon in a different recliner with the current book, and time before dinner in front of the television (Property Brothers, Alaska the Last Frontier, DVR’d episodes of Doctor Blake). 


Fix dinner (everything I reeealy want to cook in the winter is beige: pasta, rice, potatoes, more pasta), and you guessed it, TV in the evening. 


          I’m no fool. If I lean forward from my recliner, I can see the handwriting on the wall. That’s why yesterday at 8:00 am I left for the Y in 14 degree weather, my swimsuit under my jeans and sweatshirt.

 And yet this morning instead of heading to the Y’s treadmill, I lay in bed watching the trees outside swaying ominously back and forth, idly wondering which one would be the first to fall into the bedroom. Then I had a brainstorm. I could go right downstairs and do some floor exercises. No need to drive all the way to the gym. Yessir, I could get the same workout right here.

The reality? The sit-ups remain un-sat, the toes remain un-touched, and not one plank was constructed. 

I probably should have paid more attention to the cautionary tale offered by the movie Wall-E.






13 comments:

  1. Winter covers me and I am the last to appear in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never motivate myself to exercise. Someone else has to tell me to do it. Sometimes I consider how I must bore them, and don't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS hard to exercise in cold and windy weather. However, I tell myself if I don't use it, I'll lose it. We have very long winters here in the mts of CO - I could turn into a hermit if I waited for the weather to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bed, computer, recliner, different recliner, TV, bed.
    Sounds like the perfect day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are unsat as well. I just made a really big pot of soup yesterday, but tonight I want macaroni and cheese - beige indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL -- well, hibernation is natural at this time of year, isn't it? I feel the same way here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drag myself out to the Y whether I want to or not, because I know how tough it is to come back after a break. Plus my instructor is so used to seeing me, if I don't show up she wants to know what my excuse is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you sister. Sitting down and sleeping and eating..yup.....that's winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't blame you a bit though it's not cold that keeps me from going out...it's humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the cold keeps some of that humanity indoors, too.

      Delete
  10. I feel your pain. Right now it is so slippery outside (no snow, just ice)that I don't dare leave the porch even to go for the mail. I just don't bounce like I use to. I have a treadmill in my guest house but don't want to risk torn ligaments trying to slip and slide there. Don't like being house bound but I do have a stationary bike inside which I will go crank up while watching the latest episode of Alaska the Last Frontier. I really like that show. So all is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Patti. I'm totally hooked on that show!

      Delete
  11. My thing is carrying food from window to window...eating and staring out a window. This morning we have it all, sleet, freezing rain, and snow. I need to be raking leaves and burning off calories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.