Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Alternate Universe



We had dinner Sunday night with our long-lost son and his (fingers crossed hopefully on my part) fiancĂ©. Long-lost because he lives barely an hour and a half away in Providence, Rhode Island, so of course we’ve only seen him once since Christmas.
That was for a very brief overnight since he had an early-morning meeting in Hartford. Our daughter, who lives four hours and three states away, we see about once a month. I’m sure there’s logic in there somewhere. 



          Our son is busy covering the East Coast for a new account and managing both of the three-family homes he owns in the city. Oh, and he’s also restoring the carriage house (a massive project I should probably write more about some other time)  in back of one of the houses - the 1890’s home where he lives on the top floor.
     
        Until recently, he was also selling real estate and working twenty hours a week as the director of the Providence Tree Planting Program, so I guess all that does keep him off the streets. 


          His apartment is the smallest of the three in the house, but he’s made the most of it. We sat in his living room as the summer breeze floated in through the French doors that sit where a tiny window used to be and which lead out to the small two-layer deck
View of his deck and house from the carriage house.
he built on the roof. From it you can see across the rooftops to the capital building in the distance. 


          His neighborhood is teetering between gentrification and gangs. That night gentrification seemed to be winning as we watched people stroll by on their way to the coffee shops and trendy restaurants that are springing up all over. We chose a vegetarian place a few blocks away and I tried not to look too suburban as people settled around us in batik and tattoos. I took comfort in the fact that I had on my sensible earth sandals. Proof of how far my husband has evolved over the years is that he had a fried Portobello sandwich masquerading as a fried oyster po’boy and not only ate it, but did so enthusiastically. My dinner was wonderful, too; how can anyone not like pierogies? and there were all kinds of other vegetarian goodies to make up the rest of the plate. 


          We had a fabulous evening, and got caught up on family news. But in this relentlessly healthy environment I was still intimidated enough that I didn’t dare to ask the waitress dressed all in black with Olive Oil-style boots for processed sugar (never mind Equal!) to put in my iced tea.

16 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Intimidated by the waitress? I've been there, too. Your son sounds like he's a very busy guy and that might be why you see so little of him. Talented, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a real Renaissance guy. Can you tell that I'm proud of him?

      Delete
  2. I can sure relate to the trendy restaurant in a changing neighborhood. My daughter owns one, and has been part of the change for the last fifteen years. One perk is I can go to lunch with her in all the restaurants she knows any time I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo. Some serious food envy going on here.

      Delete
  3. I like the deck! Sometimes a small living environment is optimal, especially when someone's as busy as your son. The trendy veg restaurant sounds good too. (And you reminded me to tell Dave to get olive oil at the supermarket -- LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm here for you, Steve. It's all part of the service we offer here at Welcome Words.

      Delete
  4. well, when in Rome, right? My neighborhood in the city went through gentrification and now it is so trendy and expensive only rich white people can live there. I much preferred the mixed race, mixed age working class neighborhood it was for most of the time I lived there. It was families, not single up and comers or married no kids. Now when these young people have kids they move elsewhere because there is no place for children to play now. no yards, only expensive lot line houses. we sold out last summer. and speaking of seeing children. I see my daughter and grandkids much more often than I see my son and his wife who have no kids and they bother live the same distance away. it's the grandkids I think that makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Is it just plain desire to see those grandkids or the worry that you'd better get out there and see them because they change so fast? At 41, my son has pretty much gelled.

      Delete
  5. If he someday moves into a bigger different house, this will always be his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head. He LOVES this house. Thank God his girl friend, who grew up in a nice suburban neighborhood, is happy there.

      Delete
  6. I can't explain the son vs daughter deal. Both of mine live on my property and I see my daughter at least twice a week. My son? maybe once or twice a month, sometimes longer between..and sometimes my "seeing" him is as he drives out on his way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sons do not keep a close relation with home. I rarely see my sone and see my daughter every second year. My daughter lives in Chicago and my son lives a 1000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is a busy guy! I cannot imagine living in a house with that close of neighbors or in that neighborhood...but it takes all kind...and if that was hot tea I would have asked for sugar or honey:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that two layer deck, imagining the view from there is doing my head in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could live in that little apartment! That last paragraph about the waitress makes me laugh. I'm sure you were kidding but I would have never had the nerve to even eat there. Can you imagine how out of place I would have looked! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.