Sunday, April 13, 2014

Resemblances


It’s interesting how years will go by and something will trigger a memory.


During a lull in offerings on television, I began watching The Republic of Doyle. It’s not exactly premier viewing, but it’s a little different in that it takes place in Newfoundland, and the characters are likeable.          
After a couple of shows I was struck by a sense of seeing someone familiar. One of the main characters, played by Sean McGinley, reminded me of another actor, although one from long ago. At the right angle, he and Don Porter of The Ann Southern Show (1950s) and Gidget movies (1960s) could almost qualify for one of those Separated at Birth comparisons.
Sean McGinley


Don Porter
         
    I looked McGinley up on the internet and saw that while he was never particularly good-looking, he’s one of those men whose appearance improved with age. Don Porter, on the other hand, was matinee-idol handsome in his youth, and pretty much maintained his good looks through his later years.



          Yet the real reason for my interest was a flash of connection to that TV screen:  McGinley reminded me of Porter, who reminded me of my father ( whose own father was also named Don, not Donald).  I’ve always had a warm spot in my heart for Porter because he and my father were cousins and bore a strong resemblance in voice and appearance.

          I have no idea how well they knew each other – my father died long ago, when I was young and foolishly saw little point in knowing anything about anyone in the family other than me. I was wrapped up with being a new mother and wife and living 3,000 miles away.

          Sometimes these distant reminders, however tenuous, can bring back people we miss. 

5 comments:

  1. Sad, all the stories we never listened to, or asked for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is both heart warming and sad when you come across someone who reminds you of a loved one who is gone. There is a grandmother at our church who reminds me of my own grandma, who passed away in 1977.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly right, Bijoux. Bittersweet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I found this! I KNEW he reminded me of an actor from long ago...Don Porter!! They would have passed for brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was watching an old (1973) Hawaii-Five-Oh with Don Porter and thought, gee, he reminds me of Sean McGinley. And then I find you! Thank you for sharing your tribute to your dad. Some triggers bring good reactions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.