Sunday, October 13, 2024

Overwhelmed

 

I grew up surrounded by books. My grandparents’ house in Oklahoma was a treasure trove and I worked my way through the shelves. My uncle had had polio as a child and so his old room was filled with them. A staunch anti-book banner, my mother had an open-read policy. I started with his Pogo collection and then by the time I was eleven or twelve I’d already read Andersonville, The Egg and I, Cheaper by the Dozen, and Gone With the Wind, to name the few that I remember.

          I slowed down a bit in high school – as you do – but then college and Grad school cranked up my reading hours, followed by a career teaching English. For years it seemed I was always working my way through something required by someone else, or something I was preparing to teach. In fact, when a past book club proposed that we read classics, I looked at the list and realized I’d read them all.

          Now going to the library is like a trip to a chocolate counter where I have unlimited pick of anything I want. I’m choosy about the quality of the writing and since I tend to immerse myself in what I read, I don’t want to read about tragedy and heartbreak. 


        I did join the book club here in my complex and I know it’s good for me since it yanks me out of my usual track, but our next one is a thriller (which I never, ever read) and the title alone gives me the jeebies.

          Then a day later an acquaintance handed me a shiny new book she thought I’d like. I’m sure she meant well, but it’s something I wouldn’t have chosen because Picoult’s characters are usually embroiled in family traumas. Maybe I’ll just skim a description on line and give the book back with a thank you next time I see her.

          And meanwhile, I’d just been to the library and come away with four books under my arm.

1 comment:

  1. I also grew up surrounded by books. And still am.
    And read most genres (though rarely horror - the news is enough). I don't think I have ever read Harlan Coben and have reservations abut Jodi Picoult. Her plots are too manipulated for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.