Friday, September 15, 2023

Books and Buses

 


I’ve just returned from the library, where I picked up books for two upcoming events.

          The first was Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath, which is the next up in the library’s monthly classic book club. When I learned of it, they were plowing through Middlemarch, which I enjoyed way back when I was getting one degree or another, but laziness held me back from re-reading it, so I decided to start with Steinbeck.


       I’ve read Grapes at least twice, possibly three times. Undergrad and grad degrees in English will sometimes find you revisiting the same things. At least I’ve never taught it, so it’s not too worn out. And coming from a family in which everyone except me was born in Oklahoma, it has a certain resonance, although I dread the reading a little because it’s so sad.

         

My second book was a cookbook for my next assignment. The cookbook club also meets once a month at the library, all of us fixing something from the same book and bringing it in to try. This time it’s soups and stews, which will be a nice change from a couple of the previous ones that had a bevy of weird or too-spicy ingredients. I like unusual food, I just don’t want to comb the world looking for the components.


          A milestone sure to tug at my heartstrings – our twin grandgirls off to public school this week. After two years at a great pre-school they’re no strangers to the classroom, but seeing them getting on that big city bus, dwarfed by their backpacks, made me catch my breath.

          I need to check in with their parental units for a more thorough report on this week, but the story from the first day was that at some point they were both thirsty. It sounded as though their teacher was having a bad first day herself, so they were afraid to ask, and their water bottles were in their packs, miles and miles away across the classroom.

God, I’m glad to be old.

12 comments:

  1. Hooray for reading. And rereading.
    You are right about the twins being dwarfed by their backpacks. I hope that they and their teacher have much better days after the trials of the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And school was cancelled the second day due to excessive heat, so everyone had to start all over again.

      Delete
  2. I cannot get over backpacks on tiny children. Shoulder to buttocks, and more. Oh, the skinny little legs, too. Hope they got the water sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I wish they'd had backpacks when I was in high school (you know, when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I still remember the long walk home juggling my looseleaf notebook and umpteen books.

      Delete
  3. I hope they soon learn to raise their hand and ask for a drink. Here most schools have uniforms and the little new ones are so dwarfed by the dress and the backpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many schools do in fact have uniforms here. I thought theirs did, too, but maybe not for the kindergarteners.

      Delete
  4. You reminded me of my crying when I saw my son off to school on the bus the first day, long long ago. He didn't cry, but I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about that big yellow bus and those little, little kids.

      Delete
  5. They do look small for those big bags! It's a bittersweet moment, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're actually not small for their age. Their dad is 6'4".

      Delete
  6. First day of school - a milestone for everyone involved - an not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even hairy when I was teaching high school. Give me mid-year when the kids have figured out what you're like and have settled down.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.